A way to be a better programmer in 2016

After 12 months using Meteor and reading tens of posts regarding the future of the platform, I’d like to share my opinion about the whole situation and how you can become a better programmer this year:

“Software development is technical activity conducted by human beings.” (Niklaus Wirth)

If you don’t like changes or don’t have power to make them daily, don’t feel comfortable refactoring your existing code and your mindset every single day, don’t have time or don’t want to study about new technologies and trends, I’m afraid to say but Meteor is not for you.

On the other hand, if you understand that changes are inevitable, you will see that using Meteor is an excellent choice and a great way to be a better professional. You will be constantly ripped out from your comfort zone but, in the end, you will see that you never learned so much in a such a short period of time.

It doesn’t matter if you want more “stable” solutions with less changes. Do you know why? Independent of your business, we are living in a society that consumes innovation, so want it or not, changes are unavoidable and the day of changes will always come.

To become a better programmer you must have a reason for it. My reason is Meteor. :telescope:

“No road is long with good company.”

Thank you all for being an awesome community!

14 Likes

Until you start making a big project with Blaze and have to invest money. As much as it is fun / interesting / out of the confort zone, in the end it is an investment, where people hope to get something in return. And thus, instability is my reason NOT to Meteor (until things settle).

4 Likes

I disagree, I’m using Meteor because it’s the best tool for what I’m building. Most older devs just want to get on with it and get home at 5.

2 Likes

Speaking as an older dev, I’d like to clear this misinformation up. 5 is a bit late (it gets a little dark and cold). We like to aim for 2.

17 Likes

if you are an old dev and get home after 5 probably it means your not good, as most older devs are working from home and/or are payed per hour.

Besides programming its like sex. When you are young you have a lot of sex, but you are clumsy, messy, and always in a hurry so quality is not that good. When your older, you don’t have sex often, but you have quality sex that compensates.

When you are an older dev, you write (a lot) less code, but it does the job as it should.

• Programming life starts after 40!
5 Likes

The current flux of innovation in JavaScript is also a big part of why I’m sticking to it, as I’m learning from it like nothing I’ve ever studied before :grin:

A LOT of the stuff Javascript is bringing in, has been done already in other languages. C# comes to mind (the first language I learned to use).

I know C# and Java. I agree they have, for example, async/await, modules etc.

I’m talking about JavaScript as a community, not as a language.

I’m talking about innovation, not “primitive” language features. Time-travelling debuggers, implicit vs explicit reactivity, functional vs imperative programming, transpilation with babel, connected client vs lamp stack, isomorphism… I could go on forever, and it’s smeared all over the entire community with ideas, implementation examples, proposed changes :wink: And it’s nothing short of awesome to see this kind of momentum and enthusiasm.

1 Like

You forgot to mention the number one most awesome thing happening right now in the JS and Meteor community in particular … Phoenix!

(sorry, couldn’t resist - I haven’t seen any Phoenix chatter in a few days - have we already moved on??? :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Haha! Yes, fortunately, I’m not that eager for insane scaling :smile: scaling was never a factor that drove me to Meteor anyway.

But let’s not ruin this nice appreacitive thread with Erlang madness :wink:

Someone just had to poke that bear!

:wink:

1 Like