Amazing - use android phone or tablet as meteor server

Ok, that is in case that the support of Ubuntu 13.10 is outdated after 18 month, its not a long time release.

Do following:

cd /etc/apt
mv sources.list sources.list.raring.bak
vi sources.list

and insert this content

deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports trusty main universe
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com trusty-security main
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com trusty-security universe

Then

apt-get update
apt-get install git

This should work

1 Like

tl:dr : Meteor is running successfully in my nexus 7. :smile:

It was giving me errors about npm and mongo as well as taking more than 15 minutes to start the app. So I went ahead and installed node and npm staright from the terminal using sudo apt-get install npm & legacy nodejs. After that it was just a breeze.

Now starts normally within couple of seconds, nearly same as the desktop counterpart. Works perfectly.

I wonder, if vanilla meteor will work on it ?

1 Like

nope, we NEED your fork to get meteor running in armv7 devices.

:smiley: Cheers mate, for this awesome fork. I woner what are the possibillities for our clinical meteor track ? @awatson1978

1 Like

Hey @kaiyes - cool work out :+1:

I am sure, that the problem was that my dev_bundles are compiled on 14.04 and your system isnā€™t on that level. If you like, you can try:

apt-get dist-upgrade

that brings your complete OS up to 14.04 LTS. Normally this process will work even when you start with a fresh image again.

1. Start again with image
  2. Update the /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
  4. apt-get autoremove --purge
  5. apt-get clean
  6. reboot

And then you only have to follow the guide from our fork - that should do the job.

First time start is always a long runner because all packages and ā€¦ are built the first time. This is different from meteor release installation.

1 Like

trying that from a fresh image now. I wonder if I can get snappy core on the nexus? Bunch of snappy modules + apps will be awesome . By the way, a raspi with a snappy core should run the fork right ?

Jep, Raspi should / will run smoothly - Have not yet tested on Snappy but should work. I always use the LTS releases.

the update took more than couple of hours and then soft-bricked the nexus 7 :blush: . I started with a fresh install and got everything up and running though.

I git cloned an app of mine and it couldnā€™t run giving an error about CFS binary. Is it just because I am on a unsupported devise ? Maybe the Raspi wonā€™t have this issue.

The os is running smoothā€¦ since nexus 7 (2012) has 1 GB ram and Quad-core 1.2 GHz processor. Twice of raspi has.

Hey @kaiyes next nice experience :smile:

To get things like CFS running on ARM is easy. The problem is, that the maintainer has not made a build for ARM yet. Just clone those packages into your ./app/packages folder and let meteor build them on your device.

I never had any missing from that. You just need to pick those packages are building some C-binaries.

I was discussing with the maintainer of Stratosphere to create a package server for ARM - see https://github.com/sebakerckhof/stratosphere/issues/8

This will be upcoming, until then just use the cloned source of the package

1 Like

This is propably the absolute fitting smartphone for running meteor server and client on the device :smile:

http://www.bq.com/de/aquaris-e5-ubuntu-edition

So if ubuntu touch can run meteorā€¦ Ubuntu Touch supports a variety of nexus devises. And they are more powerful than aquaris in terms of Hardware. I can get Ubuntu touch without any problem even for my old unsupported nexus 7 (2012). Nexus 7 (2013) is supported officially though.

Should I go that route instead of the Ubuntu desktop ? Because that can actually open up a whole range of opportunities.

What will be the procedure to run meteor on Ubuntu Touch?

P:S: I got my app up and running but I just couldnā€™t go pass the login page. It works perfectly in my workstaion though. Maybe Old firefox and all.

Sorry this isnā€™t anything I have tried yet - no experiences but as far as I read it might be realistic.

You need to set the device / image in read-write mode to use apt-get and that stuff.

It depends on your time and your love of adventure - otherwise stay on the Ubuntu release - it is quite stable.

1 Like

@tomfreudenberg Hello Tom, Iā€™m using Termux for Android which provides a sandboxed linux environment (as in it runs everything in itā€™s app-specific filesystem, not on the userā€™s sdcard and not in root (my phone isnā€™t rooted)) with Debianā€™s apt-get for package management (Iā€™ve installed NeoVim, which works great in the terminal!). I was trying to get your universal Meteor fork (that you mentioned on GitHub) running inside this environment but came across a small problem: the beginning of the (JavaScript) Meteor scripts all start with

#!/usr/bin/env node

but /usr doesnā€™t exist on the phone, which errors out. As a workaround, I can start to fix the problem by editing each file so it has

#!/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin/env node

and same for bash scripts, etc. What might be a good way to solve this so that we donā€™t have to manually change the beginning of these files (without needing to root a phone)? Maybe a script that converts all #!/usr/bin/env <binary> to #!/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin/env <binary> would do the trick, and we can host a branch for Termux users to clone?

Hi Joe,

I copied your request to our Github issues. Read more at Issue/36

Thanks for posting that
Tom

1 Like