Announcing Meteor 1.3.4(.1) and 1.4-beta.1

Sorry if this is stupid question, but since I have read that it will be easier to update node versions with meteor now will it be possible to deploy node 6 with meteor 1.4 or will we have to wait for new a version of meteor that supports it?

It looks like it’s a 1.5 feat:

More specifically, further down in that article Ben states,

Our current vision for Meteor 1.5 is that you will be able to use whatever (relatively recent) version of Node you like: #7072

In all likelihood, Meteor 1.5 will be released before Node v6 is ready for production use, so most Meteor developers will want to keep using Node v4 with Meteor 1.5 for a few months at least. When Node v6 is ready, the transition will be straightforward.

Note that the reason for the delay is primarily because Node V6 isn’t really production ready, not an internal one in Meteor.

If you’re developing now for something that isn’t going to be deployed until the October timeframe, you might consider using the Node 6 PR’s branch of the Meteor repository to do your development. I encountered the same issue with needing Node 4 in order to utilize a particular NPM module 2 months ago. I used the the “Slow Start (for Developers” approach to run Meteor from the bleeding edge code and, remarkably, I never bled. The Node 4 support of the in-development 1.4 code was stable for my purposes from day one about 7 or 8 weeks ago. If you’re on Linux (wouldn’t try this on Windows), it’s worth a thought.

2 Likes

@rlivingston Yup, I’m bypassing meteor test. It comes with certain hassles, but unit tests are much faster. It’s a tradeoff.

1 Like

Ok, we install the build tools and then what? I’ve updated to the latest npm and node version but it still gives an error when trying to update.

1 Like