Apollo technical preview

I’ll look into this. The change may be relatively simple (some kind of conditional import), but I got stuck on doing this from TypeScript the last time I tried.

2 Likes

Could it be as simple as passing it into the apollo client constructor? Like:

new ApolloClient({ observableShim: Observable });
1 Like

Passing an observable class in may indeed be the easiest solution. I’ll give this a try. We could pass in RxJS ourselves in the Angular integration.

3 Likes

Great work MDG!!! Looking forward to use Apollo in production apps in coming months!!!

I think this is a good point to start an Apollo category here on the forum, so early testers and adopters can start discussing in a dedicated area.

+1 for a forum, but since Apollo is evolving on a different namespace than Meteor (different website, different GitHub organization, different docs, different Twitter account, different Slack channel, different blog, etc.) it might make sense to deploy a Discourse instance on apollostack.com instead of creating a category here. Though I personally don’t really care.

3 Likes

I was thinking that as well, but at this early stage it could be a bit overkill.
Might be better to just go with a category at the beginning and when it gathers steam transition to a dedicated forum later?

2 Likes

I finally found time to read about Apollo and also cloned one example.

Can’t be sure that I have understood everything as I am quite newbie in the scene and information is “wide spead” between documentation, this forum and blogs. If you do not mind there are few things on my mind about live data

1 ) How will you manage Livedata from SQL and REST, as MySQL does not have such complete and well documented option such as MongoDB Oplog? Will you go for something like “poll-diff” as previously with Meteor?

2 ) Tom said that [quote=“tmeasday, post:1, topic:21790, full:true”]
“In particular, if you’re using Methods to fetch data non-reactively or you’re syncing data from other sources like REST APIs and SQL into MongoDB, then you might want to look more closely at Apollo now.”
[/quote]

I wonder what are “the best practices” to replicate/sync the SQL and REST data to MongoDB so MongoDB could be used as “live query database” for dashboards? Have somebody done that in this forum?

3 ) In high-level-reactivity.md (github) Sashko said that

“Another way to make external updates reactive is to set up a live query implementation that invalidates dependencies by watching the database.”

If I am not totally wrong arent external writings reactive in Meteor? Arent we entitle for this feature in Apollo? Sashko also says that firing up depencies by “external writings” might not be good for bigger applications?

Ok, kill me now, late night here might have written 100% bullshit :grin: