Basics: Getting started w Meteor + VueJS

Not really a bug. Just something that changed in Vue 2.1.7, which got released around the Christmas time (probably the worst possible for Open Source world).

I’ve cloned your git and run it, it didn’t work with 2.1.8, but then I did meteor update which updated version of meteor-vue-component to the one Akryum released yesterday and it does work fine now, so I consider this case a solved one.

Just did the same and you’re right – it works! Thanks again!

1 Like

No problem, I wanted to get this solved too.

One more thing I’d like to ask. What do you use for UI with Vue? Some JQuery based framework? Some Vue native one?

What do you mean? Look and feel?

Yes, look and feel. Modals, tabs, dropdowns and all that jazz. The question is for all of you.

Sure, I use flexbox and css for layout, responsiveness, and look & feel. I then, over the course of time, came up with a design language based on personal taste, and experience with various websites and applications. Picked out complimentary colors that seems professional and at the same time give it pop. I apply this design to everything, including modals, buttons, grids, cards, tabs, navigation, etc. Also, when it made sense I also incorporated look & feel feedback from my clients. Not the easiest route to take, but I have maximum flexibility and control.

I use JQuery only for input masking on some forms.

Sorry, I didn’t make myself clear due to English language issues. I didn’t mean look and feel after all, but the particular library solutions used in Vue+Meteor development, especially for the javascript part of the UI components regarding the ones that can’t be pure CSS. Like the ones listed here https://github.com/vuejs/awesome-vue#component-collections.

But your way of doing things sounds pretty interesting. :slight_smile:

I haven’t use any of them yet because I’m just starting with Meteor + VueJS. But just briefly looking at them I can tell you most are not needed IMO.

My plan is to build each type of control as a Vue component that can be reused throughout forms.

I successfully added one called Vuetify to a vue-meteor project after some guidance from Akryum:

Still need to implement more of those components to see if anything in particular breaks or something (which I doubt), but I’d say it helps to develop quickly. ( Dare I to say is one of Meteor’s original goals ).

1 Like

Great! Vuetify actually looks pretty cool, so it’s good to hear that it’s working fine so far. I’m more focused on the components quality for now, as the visual style can be always changed (even if by force), so that would be a good start.

Another project that I found impressive so far is https://museui.github.io but I haven’t played with it yet, so I don’t know how flexible and comfortable it is.

EDIT: After trying, I failed to implement MuseUI as a whole in Vue+Meteor.

Long live the new topic. :slight_smile:

There’s a very nice news in the most recent version of Akryum’s vue-component package. Vue-component doesn’t provide the history of changes, so I thought it’s worth posting here for people to be aware of.

From now on we don’t have to expicitly set the name of the component in the file, as long as we don’t plan for the name to be different than the filename.

In Vue, if you want the console warnings to tell you which exact component the warning is related to, you had to state the name of the component in the code like that:

export default {
  name: 'login'
}

Now, as long as the component is in file login.vue, we don’t have to do that. Of course, it can be kept still for the sake of compability with Vuejs if you plan to switch the build tool in the future.

Here. :smiley:

1 Like

Wow, here it was. :slight_smile: Thx.