Best way to host MongoDB for a Meteor server running on EC2?

Interesting. Have you installed MongoDB on the same instance as Meteor, or do you use 2 separate DO servers?

Just following up on this for completeness - I asked Compose this; here is their official answer (TL;DR - prices will go up - probably in a year+):

We donā€™t yet have any timeframe in mind whereby pricing will change. With MongoDB+, the base price is slightly higher but the per-gigabyte price is still $18. At some point in the very distant future (a year or more?) weā€™ll be migrating existing databases to the MongoDB+ deployment style, but pricing changes have not yet been firmed up if there are to be any at all.

1 Like

@waldgeist Iā€™m thinking of breaking MongoDB from my EC2 instance as well. Did you ever try running MongoDB in its own EC2 instance instead of using Compose? I like the fact that I can SSH into MongoDB from MongoChef and do backup and change/update data and run queries. If we go Compose, we only get a limited web interface right?

Has anyone used an EC2 instance to host MongoDB?

Also, has anyone compared Compose with NodeChef?

No, I am very satisfied with Compose, since I do not have to care about DB administration at all. For me, this is the most important thing. If my Meteor server breaks down, I can just spawn a new instance and I am fine. But if I am facing data loss, Iā€™ve got a serious problem.

Regarding MongoChef: Itā€™s no problem at all to connect it to a Compose instance, and thatā€™s what I am actually doing. The web interface comes in handy for general database administration (creating DB instances, run ad-hoc backups, download backups), but for all other purposes I am using MongoChef.

NodeChef sounds quite promising, as it is an all-in-one solution. For me, this is even more attractive than Galaxy, as the latter is lacking MongoDB hosting. But for now, I am sticking to the AWS and Compose combo.

1 Like

Thanks @waldgeist, but at $30 a month for so little resources and sizeā€¦ wouldnā€™t it make sense to just install Mongo on an EC2 instance instead? I use MongoChef for backups anyhow.

mLab is more competitively priced. Sure itā€™s possible to run your own Mongo server, but I personally wouldnā€™t want to hassle managing and tuning it.

I am paying $18 at the moment.

You might be grandfathered in to an older plan? MongoDB on Compose.io is now $31/mo (used to be $18).

2 Likes

Anyone take a look at DreamCompute from Dreamhost? It looks like they may have competitive pricing. https://www.dreamhost.com/cloud/computing/

Hi folks,

Have you tried out https://scalegrid.io for your mongodb hosting ? (Disclaimer: I am the founder). Here are the advantages you get

1. Full dedicated VMā€™s ( so dedicated CPU and RAM)
  2. Full admin access to mongodb ( so you can access the oplog)
  3. Bring your own AWS account (So you can purchase reserved instances and use security groups for your hosting)
  4. Vastly Superior tooling (backups, slow query analysis, monitoring & alerts, monthly reports etc)

The Meteor free plan (while it was being offered) was hosted on Scalegrid.io