Blaze is dead of self-sufficient?

Is someone working on an alternative backend yet?

Hey guys, hopefully the talk recording can be found anywhere, we had some trouble with zoom :frowning:

So basically we discussed potential improvements of Blaze without breaking changes, since many companies and teams using Blaze because of it’s stability and consistency over time.

We found, that potential improvements would be to get rid of unnecessary code (like underscore), rewrite all es5 code to es6+ and maybe even make jquery optional.

Currently I try to get a better understanding of the Blaze architecture (see the respective PR in the Blaze repo) and once this is complete we may start creating a project/milestone on GitHub.

It would be great to see you guys joining the effort, especially in understanding the architecture.

7 Likes

@jkuester You also missed the part where Meteor Software (via @filipenevola ) backed the project and confirmed that it will not be dropped from Meteor.

4 Likes

:man_facepalming: true, that was the most important part of all! So therefore the title question should be answered definitely :tada:

1 Like

If you are trying to make sense of Blaze architecture I’d recommend Meteor hacks articles especially this one and that or Meteor Explained. The book is basically a condensed and formatted version of the articles but it has the same tips that were on the website.

1 Like

I’d love to see active development from Meteor Software instead of life support type of changes. It’s surely a mature project but one can’t help but wonder how it’d look like with an assigned developer working exclusively on it!

1 Like

Is anyone using Blaze now, any advice? I see the latest Meteor update removing Blaze dependency at all?

There are many Meteor based companies using Blaze in important comercial products. And there is also a big effort in the migration of Blaze to be compatible with async (aka Meteor 3.0).

Where do you see Meteor update removing Blaze? This is not happening.

5 Likes

I’m really happy with Blaze. It’s the simplest front-end library that I use and is still supported as you can see there are some works to make it compatible with 3.0

2 Likes

There are many Meteor based companies using Blaze in important comercial products. And there is also a big effort in the migration of Blaze to be compatible with async (aka Meteor 3.0).

Strange that blaze.js changelog is almost a year old then.

As for the removal I have meant dependencies that have been removed in the latest release:

• Remove Blaze dependency and types that live in blaze.d.ts by perbergland PR

This is just a type definition and it was removed because there are other ways to do it now.

Also, Blaze doesn’t live inside Meteor main repo for a long time, so it makes more sense to keep it elsewhere.

About changelog: Blaze is a stable project so we don’t have releases all the time but there is a current PR here. That includes also these types removed from the main repo of Meteor you mentioned in your comment, for example.

But as Meteor 3.0 is approaching we are going to see many Blaze changes as well.

And one example of Blaze latest advancements: HMR support was implemented by Zodern recently. So when changes are necessary Blaze is still getting them :wink:

5 Likes

BTW, if you want to know more about the future of Blaze join the #blaze-async-workgroup in Slack.

7 Likes

Correct, mine is one of them

4 Likes