Building a hybrid Meteor Cordova app: share experiences?

Good idea :slight_smile:

Personally, I am still using Blaze and plain old bootstrap to build guzz.io, with some eclectic elements from Semantic UI and things like Switchery (to mimic iOS switches). I tried out F7, but did not get it to work with Meteor within reasonable time, so I gave up. I like the Material Design concept, but Materialize wasnā€™t well designed, so I only used some of its SASS elements to get the right colors and such. Plus, I need to support iOS as well, so Material Design would mean double-work. Would love to see a framework that integrates seamlessly into Meteor, though. For guzz.io, which has its own style, it wouldnā€™t be my first choice, but for more business-oriented apps this would be great.

What about Ionic? It is out there for a long time and very robust. It works with Meteor out of the box with Angular, with React (React-Ionic) and with Blaze (Meteoric).

Disclaimer, React-Ionic is my project :slight_smile:

Iā€™m working on it but still have a little issue with the animation speed! Check out ā€œwebaseā€

I am using Onsen UI and it works great. With the same code I make the iOS ui and the Material UI.

1 Like

Thanks for the info about Onsen UI, did now know this, looks promising!

I got quite impressive for this movement integrating with F7.
Because after I was trying to use Ionic(Meteoric) and some other Front-End framework, I realize F7 is quite focussing on UI things without data combining.

What I want is just use Blaze.js for front-end framework and integrate mobile UI in it simply.

Does this F7 integration keep going on? or just stopped for Onsen UI or whatever?

Hey @waldgeist, Iā€™m trying to build a hybrid Meteor Cordova app (Android only)? Iā€™ve just started to learn Meteor and Cordova, so I donā€™t know where to start. Could you give me some hints?

hi @buiquanghuy23103, I did not do much Cordova-related dev work in the past year, but a good starting point are the Meteor To Do sample app

and the mobile section of the Meteor guide

Be prepared to face some quirks, as the core Meteor team seemed to have some challenges keeping up with the fast pace the mobile world evolved, with a lot of breaking changes inside Cordova itself over time and in iOS in particular, due to changes made by Apple.

In my own Meteor Cordova app, the most challenging parts were the implementation of WebRTC (due to the lack of its support in iOS) and push notifications. And every once in a while, Apple changed the way the icons were maintained, which quite often broke the builds.

Please also note that itā€™s not easy to create a Cordova app that resembles a somewhat native experience. Initially, I thought that might not be much of an issue (and I wouldnā€™t have had the time to develop things three times, for Android, iOS and the web), but for most Cordova apps, I can tell right of the first taps that they were built with it. Itā€™s getting better on more recent devices, but still.

You could also research a bit on frameworks built on top of Cordova (like Ionic, not sure if itā€™s still using Cordova under the hood), but it is (or at least was when I looked the last time) not easy to find instructions about how to get them integrated with Meteor. IIRC, Ionic had its own router, which I could not figure out to work with Meteor when I tried. But things may have changed a lot since I did my own researches.

1 Like

You may want to wait until this Cordova PR is released before doing much work as you will likely run into issues trying to build on latest versions of Android. Should be released in Meteor 1.8.4 which is coming out sometime in January as well as some Meteor 1.9.+ version.

1 Like

Thank you for your fast reply. I will follow your suggestion and see how things go.

Thank you for reply. I will tell the Web team to upgrade to Meteor 1.8.4 as soon as it is released.

Iā€™m also starting to make a Cordova app, Meteor + React, so far itā€™s going pretty well, I followed the official site directions.
Now Iā€™m struggling with push notifications, they are a bit complicated, but I havenā€™t analyzed everything yet.