Coming soon: Meteor 1.4

Any idea when 1.4 will be officially released?

Also, will 1.4 solve the issue with super-long build times? This is the one thing that absolutely drives me up the wall the most and just kills my productivity.

2 Likes

No official release date has been mentioned by MDG, but since the beta is now at 1.4-beta.14, I’m guessing we’ll see a release candidate very soon.

The main focus of 1.4 is:

• Upgrade to Node 4
  • Upgrade to Mongo 3.2 (using WiredTiger 3.2 by default)

Tackling rebuild times hasn’t been discussed by MDG yet, but the issue is being tracked here (add your +1’s accordingly):

1 Like

I think this is an actual BUG and not an issue of 1.3, let me explain…

Upon the first time I upgraded to 1.3, after upgrade I had ridiculously long build times. I found this weird as build times were supposed to have DROPPED. But mine were higher than ever before…

I had to revert. Upon reverting everything was back to normal.

Then I decided to give the upgrade a try again - on my second attempt, everything ran GREAT. Reload time was no longer an issue.

Then one of the incremental patches came out, 1.3.2 i think? Upon doing that upgrade, the SAME ISSUE happened. I reverted again, did the upgrade again, problem fixed.

I gave somoene else this advice once before and it worked for them as well.

It seems the updater (at least the windows one) has some errors that are completely screwing the build time.

Hi, have you ever tried to check what happens if doing a complete fresh meteor 1.3.x installation? Would be interesting if this run as quick or if the magic is in the “update - revert - update” process

huh? as far as I could tell by earlier threads, I thought people were working hard on this. Well guess not :slight_smile: Just adding my 0,02, having 30s rebuilds in event the smallest possible app (ssd even) is kind of unworkable. Especially since it’s on every single small html tweak you do.

Well, there has been a lot of discussion about it, but I just meant there hasn’t been any official statements (or schedule) from MDG about how they’re planning on addressing this issue. Each new release adds incremental performance improvements, but the larger issue definitely still needs to be addressed.

Given that issue 4284 has 155 comments and growing, you’re not alone!

That should not be the case unless you have the bug I mentioned above. if 1.3 is working as intended it should be pretty fast (mine is a very large project and takes only a couple seconds)

What page number? I’ll go look when back at the office.

Got it… pg 164.

sorry in advance for the snide remark: as an ex-windows user, I can attest that windows is what hurts windows developers’ productivity the most. =P

(I did love C# though…)

2 Likes

Hello ,

I am currently using Meteor 1.3 with Blaze Engine
First of all , Why in the official page no more tutorial For Blaze ?
I wanna know if Blaze is gonna vanish one day or not ?
Am I safe with Blaze ? Does MDG planning to take out one day ?
I am worried a little bit about this issues because I have a huge app based on Blaze
and migration or change in code will be disaster
I hope one of the expert guys here could answer me clearly

Thanks

https://www.meteor.com/tutorials/blaze/creating-an-app

It’s also there… https://www.meteor.com/tutorials

Seems that Meteor 1.4 was just quietly released :slight_smile:

Congratulations to MDG for another successful release!

6 Likes

It has been released, but it hasn’t been officially recommended yet (meteor show METEOR). Definitely tread lightly if updating your production apps!

2 Likes

Just updated 6 apps to Meteor 1.4 on our staging environment. All working well so far, another solid effort by @benjamn and co. :slight_smile: Assuming no major issues overnight I’ll deploy to production tomorrow morning.

Main issues I can see being a problem (depending on your deployment methods) would be remembering to update Node on the server, and making sure pre-compiled npm packages are targeting the correct version of node. Being sure to use meteor npm rather than just npm probably avoids issues where your locally installed node is different to the version (v4.4.6) used by Meteor 1.4.

4 Likes

History doc says node v4.4.7 is shipped with Meteor 1.4 along with MongoDB 3.2. :slight_smile:

We just recommended the release so it’s officially out!

5 Likes

Ah my bad, yes it’s 4.4.7 not .6

Lovely :slight_smile: so now we’re close enough to become fully using just npm!

When will Blaze be retired ?? never? (that’s good)