Community help with issue triage

There’re my little cents on having a good community support: https://github.com/ourmeteor/discussions/issues/1

@laosb curious, what’s the benefit of that repo over a forum thread? Just worried about having another place to keep track of conversations.

1 Like

That’s exactly the direction we’re moving in! We want to make it possible for members of the community to have write access to Meteor core repos.

1 Like

Why is MDG relying on people to work for free to progress their business? You had $40+million of funding, If you can’t stay on top of the issues, then employ more people. Or, why not MDG fix the issues and let the community develop Meteor - and get paid for it!

1 Like

Sorry, That’s something only about setting up OurMeteor imo, as @mitar says on GitHub, I’m truly in a hurry of forcing the establishment of community organization. They’re not beneficial until most community active members agree on it.

Keep in mind that some people do not work over weekends. Allow them to respond at normal working hours.

1 Like

As a high-school student in China, I only have weekends and days off to work on that. No wonder!:laughing:

Now it’s International Workers’ Day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @mannydesigns @abernix @laosb for putting your hands up. We’ll have a guide for triaging soon!

1 Like

MDG is not relying on people to work for free. They’re asking for help because it’s an open source project. Open source works because people care passionately about a project so much that they are willing to work for free.

If you want to be paid for working on Meteor, then just apply to work for them.

Also, that $40 million in funding doesn’t just go to hiring but also to hosting, marketing, travel, and so much more. If they could hire more people that easily, they probably would have.

4 Likes

@merlinpatt is right. This is not about MDG making people work for free, it’s about enabling the community to participate in developing, maintaining and deciding the future of the framework, which is something many people in the community have asked for.

To follow up on this thread, @zoltan has put together a process for community issue triage: Documented issue triage process. Thanks for your input!

2 Likes

Great can’t wait. Love to help wherever I can. Meteor is our platform of choice for all our development.

1 Like

Are the profits open source too?

It’s not like we are asking people to contribute to galaxy. Meteor is completely free and you don’t have to pay anyone for anything to use it.

2 Likes

Well to be honest, there isn’t enough money in the world to develop complex, innovative, feature-rich technology solutions while always “staying on top of the issues”. Issues multiply exponentially as complexity, and adopters, increases. The only Github repos with no issues are trivial or not used by many–or are wrappers for large libraries (which have their own issues). Even companies are large as Google and Apple–with tens of billions in the bank–can’t manage to stay on top of all the issues in their software products. It’s just not realistic. Or if it is, it takes too many resources away from the development of new features (aka other issues). There are opportunity costs to everything.

“Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later” --Brook’s Law

4 Likes

@zoltan @thea @abernix @sashko and others - I know this discussion is a bit old, but having recently waded through some of the older repo issues, I’m interested in bringing this idea back into the limelight. Is there anything the community can do to help with this? Would it be useful if we reviewed older issues and added comments to the issues that can be closed, when appropriate? Or, is there a better process we should follow? If there’s anything we can do to help get some of the older issues cleared out, please post and let us know. I’m happy to volunteer some time to do this, and I’m sure others will be as well. Thanks!

2 Likes

@hwillson Some help on this would be awesome! We decided against doing something automated due to the impersonal nature of that approach. It would be great if yourself or others from the community had the time to triage some of the older issues. Something along the lines of asking ‘Hey, This issue is quite old, is this still a problem with Meteor 1.4?’.

Also, we’re still looking for more help with issue triage, if you’re interested it’d be neat to have you onboard. I can PM you the details and get you (and others who are interested) involved.

1 Like

Help is definitely needed on this! If anyone from the community ever spots an idle open issue that is: a) known to be resolved, b) a duplicate, c) no longer seems relevant, d) just a question and not a feature/bug, etc., please do update it as Zol suggested above or even recommend it be closed if that seems appropriate (e.g. “Pretty sure this is fixed, can this be closed?”). Someone triaging issues will see it and be able to close it.

As @zoltan said, nothing automatic was reasonable but personally, I try to dedicate an hour each week to searching old/idle issues. I’m successful in closing a fair many with almost no objection from those involved since many are are fixed or not reproducible and I continue to play with algorithms to prioritize/address older issues most efficiently. Still, I probably only find 5 each time I go digging around. This leads to little overall progress, but if 5 other people could also find 5 each week, we’d be in much better shape! :slight_smile:

My continued findings are that many old issues still have value (and futures!) and need individual assessment and manual intervention from users who are familiar with the various working parts of Meteor (like yourself!) is very helpful and necessary. Many issues simple need someone who is sure they are fixed/irrelevant/duplicated/wrong-place to push the “Close” button with a nice message. There are some bulbous ranges of history where this is even more true.

But yes, please do get in contact with MDG (via Zol) if you can help more with issue triage!

2 Likes

Thanks very much @zoltan - I’ll start by dipping my toe into commenting on some of the older issues, then possibly get in touch about issue triaging. I doubt I’ll be able to reach @abernix’s awesome level of triaging, but I’ll plan on helping where I can!

Thanks very much @hwillson!