Community help with issue triage

@zoltan @thea @abernix @sashko and others - I know this discussion is a bit old, but having recently waded through some of the older repo issues, I’m interested in bringing this idea back into the limelight. Is there anything the community can do to help with this? Would it be useful if we reviewed older issues and added comments to the issues that can be closed, when appropriate? Or, is there a better process we should follow? If there’s anything we can do to help get some of the older issues cleared out, please post and let us know. I’m happy to volunteer some time to do this, and I’m sure others will be as well. Thanks!

2 Likes

@hwillson Some help on this would be awesome! We decided against doing something automated due to the impersonal nature of that approach. It would be great if yourself or others from the community had the time to triage some of the older issues. Something along the lines of asking ‘Hey, This issue is quite old, is this still a problem with Meteor 1.4?’.

Also, we’re still looking for more help with issue triage, if you’re interested it’d be neat to have you onboard. I can PM you the details and get you (and others who are interested) involved.

1 Like

Help is definitely needed on this! If anyone from the community ever spots an idle open issue that is: a) known to be resolved, b) a duplicate, c) no longer seems relevant, d) just a question and not a feature/bug, etc., please do update it as Zol suggested above or even recommend it be closed if that seems appropriate (e.g. “Pretty sure this is fixed, can this be closed?”). Someone triaging issues will see it and be able to close it.

As @zoltan said, nothing automatic was reasonable but personally, I try to dedicate an hour each week to searching old/idle issues. I’m successful in closing a fair many with almost no objection from those involved since many are are fixed or not reproducible and I continue to play with algorithms to prioritize/address older issues most efficiently. Still, I probably only find 5 each time I go digging around. This leads to little overall progress, but if 5 other people could also find 5 each week, we’d be in much better shape! :slight_smile:

My continued findings are that many old issues still have value (and futures!) and need individual assessment and manual intervention from users who are familiar with the various working parts of Meteor (like yourself!) is very helpful and necessary. Many issues simple need someone who is sure they are fixed/irrelevant/duplicated/wrong-place to push the “Close” button with a nice message. There are some bulbous ranges of history where this is even more true.

But yes, please do get in contact with MDG (via Zol) if you can help more with issue triage!

2 Likes

Thanks very much @zoltan - I’ll start by dipping my toe into commenting on some of the older issues, then possibly get in touch about issue triaging. I doubt I’ll be able to reach @abernix’s awesome level of triaging, but I’ll plan on helping where I can!

Thanks very much @hwillson!