Community Involvement Setup

I understand what @msavin proposed and what you, @ramez, quickly jumped on well enough.

What I’m saying in my post above is that titles I think it will hurt, not help. Your response didn’t address my points.

The rationale is the following, as developers meet developers they get encouraged to jump on a platform (or at least check it out). “Oh, so and so is using Meteor, what is this?” It’s free marketing for the platform and the person.

Second, often companies want to make sure there is an ecosystem of developers available to support when needed (say their current provider is no longer available), for risk mitigation. Having those titles gives those companies sense of confidence. e.g. a linked-in search for ‘meteor community’ yielding many users will validate the platform as companies evaluate it.

@ramez maybe move that discussion as well in a new topic? So this discussion can focus on your opening topic?

1 Like

What does this point have to do with introducing community titles?

Sounds like a certification program when you put it like that – not a way to get developers involved in the community.

We need community involvement initiatives that are inclusive. This community needs real openness, not titles.

Somehow I’m actually leading the Simplified Chinese translation of Guide. Though hasn’t be updated frequently, the translation was not developed in meteor/guide, but in ourmeteor/guide-zh. Maybe there should be some improvements on translation developing.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Tutorial improvements

Apologies for delayed response; I don’t have any motivations for becoming a community maintainer. My only interest is around ensuring that some things to do not go off track. I like Meteor and Blaze very much, and see myself using it long-term, and I would hate to see it get bloated with strange features.

MDG has been a “curator” for what makes it to the core, and I think Meteor needs to continue on that track. Perhaps the process can be:

1. People post ideas, suggestions, bugs, etc
  2. Project manager creates agreement between what gets built and how
  3. Contributors are encouraged to deliver a code request

For #3, in addition to eternal glory, I think there could be a bounty for specific fixes. Maybe MDG would give each PM a budget and they could allocate it across different needs.

Thanks @thea,
We seem to be starting a good trend over here. What do we do next?

@ramez What makes most sense to you? My instinct for the interim is to create a new forum category, say “Community Dev” and have this be a pinned topic. Happy to hear other thoughts

2 Likes

@thea, see: https://github.com/meteor/meteor/issues/7843 one issue when we want people to get involved is that lots of links to Meteor “projects” like WebApp are gone. They were on the website before and gave more overview on how Meteor internals are grouped.

Here you mention in my opinion about the same, a desire for people to take up the projects but there is no list.

@joshowens mentions the same. I think that should be a first quick fix, it’s not very difficult to get that online. The place where it belongs is in my opinion on GitHub as it being a technical overview on the core which should stay in sync. That will speed up developers start speed on Meteor because you know where to look for things.

What do you think on that? When it’s clear which projects there are then we can think about people to lead those effort but now the overview simply is not there.

Something like github.com/meteor/community repo with documents about guidelines, meteor structure, community roadmap, community general info (where did blaze go)…

1 Like

Thanks @thea

Personally (and this is echoed in the couple of comments right above) we need something stronger than a sticky post on this forum. Remember, many developers don’t even show up here. Github is where they go, and from there, they branch out to where is needed (e.g. links in Readme’s).

As Meteor evolves, I expect the community to really take the lead, and this means not being a backstage operator. I think we need a Community.md file and a mention of the community and ecosystem in the main Github readme of Meteor, and then later on, on the Meteor main website.

Again, this initiative we have here is super critical for the future of Meteor (and frankly it’s belated, we have only been using Meteor for 6-8 months so it took us some time to size up the ecosystem and the different players)

Indeed - what I am seeing here is its hard to get organized.

What I would like to see is: list of communities, leaders, current discussions, upcoming developments, how to join the development team, how to support, how to join the Slack, etc, etc.

Maybe MDG can do a new GitHub organization called “community” and add all the community leaders to it. That way, they could edit their “status.md” files and make it easy for other’s to join in.

I just proposed this idea in the Blaze repository, maybe it can be helpful for the all the projects:

One thing I think many of us are struggling with is figuring out what the state of Blaze is, what is being proposed, what has been discussed, etc.

That usually leads to a “read issue X” response - which I think may discourage people from participating because they don’t want to repeat something that might have been was said.

The other option is to read all the posts, but that’s not enticing as many of them are old, and the discussions are not structured well. It’s worse than reading a college textbook.

Maybe the real solution is to start a Trello board, similar to what Meteor had back in the good old days:
https://trello.com/b/hjBDflxp/old-meteor-roadmap-new-roadmap-at-https-github-com-meteor-meteor-blob-devel-roadmap-md

We can have sections like [Completed, In Progress, Planned, Ideas]. The first three sections could be locked down, and the fourth one (Ideas) can allow anyone to add a card and develop a discussion around it.

Feel free to chime in: https://github.com/meteor/blaze/issues/127

2 Likes

@lucfranken I agree that having it live on GitHub would be ideal as far as transparency, but will take more time to set up. I’ll chat with @benjamn about how this would work. I’ve seen a “community” repo as a central place for this orienting information work before.

@msavin do you mean a repo, as per @lucfranken’s comment? We’ve decided against creating a new GH organization for the time being.

Could you elaborate a bit more why that would take more time? Having a text document online (like the readme) is something we all can do quite easily?

To be clear, I don’t propose a new repo. Just put a document in the meteor/meteor repo. That’s directly connected to the code so when a packages gets removed from the central repo into it’s own (like happend with Blaze) the developer can fix that structure immediately and add a link to the new repo. Very simple.

We touched on this in our phone conversation, it’s likely organizational, not technical. Not everyone has admin rights to the repo so it has to be discussed internally at MDG and planned.

If we want community involvement why not just make a pull-request?

@lucfranken it is an organizational effort and necessitates some chatting with internal stakeholders in the project operations and communications. (To be verbose.)

First step was to create a community repo, which @sashko just did! I’ll follow up with a few conversations at MDG and we should be ready to add the list early next week.

2 Likes

ok looking forward to it