Connecting 2 apps over DDP, how to login across?

@PolGuixe, yes the token login is working (most of the time)

@jamgold, where and when are you calling the connectToExistingBackend('url') function? are you doing it at Meteor.startUp()?

No, contrary to popular belief (I believed it) Meteor.startup in the client doesnā€™t run when the app starts on the client, but when the DOM is ready on the client.

Since I have not checked out remote autoconnect yet, I call DDP.connect before I declare remote collections in the client code, basically in client/lib/bootstrap.js or some thing I know gets called early so as to not to mess with stuff I donā€™t understand

Meteor.remoteConnection = DDP.connect(RemoteDataUrl);
Meteor.remoteConnection.onReconnect = function() {
  console.log('Meteor.remoteConnection.onReconnect', arguments);
}
Accounts.connection = Meteor.remoteConnection;
Meteor.users = new Meteor.Collection('users',{connection: Meteor.remoteConnection});
//
MyOwnRemoteCollection = new Meteor.Collection('collection', {connection: Meteor.remoteConnection});
// etc.

I know longer use the connectToExistingBackend function or more specifically the hack therein that modifies the connection attribute of Meteor.methods like call, etc, because it messes with hot code push (see comment above).

I explicitly Meteor.remoteConnection.subscribe and Meteor.remoteConnection.call and so forth, and it works. Hot code pushes and Cordova.

5 Likes

And just in case you need to attempt to force an autologin
(I ran into issues with the auth token disappearing from my Meteor app, perhaps only when initializing the DDP inside Meteor.startup())

on login success:

// backup the localStorage token/userId
    Meteor._localStorage.setItem(
      "remote.userId",
      Meteor._localStorage.getItem("Meteor.userId")
    );
    Meteor._localStorage.setItem(
      "remote.loginToken",
      Meteor._localStorage.getItem("Meteor.loginToken")
    );

on subsequent load:

// autologin with token if possible
autoLogin = function() {
  var userId = Meteor._localStorage.getItem("remote.userId");
  if (!userId) {
    userId = Meteor._localStorage.getItem("Meteor.userId");
  }
  if (!userId) {
    console.log('no autoLogin, no userId');
    return;
  }
  var token = Meteor._localStorage.getItem("remote.loginToken");
  if (!token) {
    token = Meteor._localStorage.getItem("Meteor.loginToken");
  }
  if (!token) {
    console.log('no autoLogin, no token');
    return;
  }
  userId && Accounts.connection.setUserId(userId);
  Meteor.loginWithToken(token, function (err) {
    if (err) {
      Meteor._debug("Error logging in with token: " + err);
      makeClientLoggedOut();
    }
    Accounts._pageLoadLogin({
      type: "resume",
      allowed: !err,
      error: err,
      methodName: "login",
      methodArguments: [{resume: token}]
    });
  });
}
2 Likes

I have these autoruns in my client

//
// autorun.startup._storedLoginToken
//
Tracker.autorun(function () {
  var token = Session.get('_storedLoginToken');
  // var started = Session.get('startup');
  // console.log('autorun.startup._storedLoginToken',token);
  if(token)
    Meteor.loginWithToken(token, function(err){
      // this is going to throw error if we logged out
      if(!err) console.log('loginWithToken ',token);
    });
});
//
// autorun.user
//
Tracker.autorun(function(){
  var user = Meteor.user();
  console.log('autorun.user');
  if(user)
  {
    Session.set('_storedLoginToken', Accounts._storedLoginToken());
  }
});
2 Likes

So Iā€™ve got everything working for me, runs great across 2 different ports on localhostā€¦ but when I attempt to deploy (to modulus) it fails me :frowning:

Iā€™m sure theres a simple implementation of a CORS header somewhere, I need to enable for DDP (and the failover AJAX long-polling connection) ā€” but I donā€™t see it, and most CORS posted Iā€™ve found (and a few Iā€™ve written) are many Meteor versions oldā€¦

Whatā€™s the current, correct, way to allow remote DDP connections from other domains & devices?

1 Like

@andrewreedy How do you solve the problem of the routing? Do you have the routes for both clients in the same project? Did you experienced any conflict?

Our UI flow is different for Mobile and for Web so we have different routing constructs for each. There hasnā€™t been any conflicts since they are each indepenant @PolGuixe

@PolGuixe We also have ā€œdifferentā€ routes for Mobile vs. Web ā€” but there is still a lot which is sharedā€¦

The question then becomes ā€œhow to shareā€ā€¦ which I think can be any combination of:

• packages
  • symlinked files or folders (organize your code into common vs web/cordova specific)
  • copied code/content (really sad face)

When I take this approach and run:
meteor run android-device --mobile-server https://example.com --settings settings.json

It will initially load up the meteoric mobile app, but then after a second it will send the web version of the site to my mobile.

How does this not happen to you? Is it the hot-code push doing it?

UPDATE:
Ahā€¦ Do I need to be running two different servers? Is there no way to be sharing a server, since the only thing unique to the mobile code is client stuff?

Can we have a summary of this post? Finding it hard to read through all the conflicting comments here

I couldnā€™t see how i can send the web version the your mobile app. The structure only share the server and the lib folder (which are all the mobile version can see). Do I miss something ?

Iā€™m using your file structure and it works pretty well locally.

How do you deal with pushing the lib directory to production? When I push my repo, the lib and server directories are empty. So when my mobile app autoupdates from my mobile repo (using gwendallā€™s remote autoupdate package), the lib code is empty.

1 Like

@PolGuixe , @andrewreedy, @zeroasterisk , @jamgold

Guys, can you share a skeleton architecture for this thread based on yours experience?

Its seems a very coommon and needed things with N meteor apps: 1 mobile app, 1 webapp

Thanks in advance!

Is this still the best approach to share authentication between 2 Meteor apps?

1 Like

Hi @andrewreedy, how you create symlink folder? Just create an alias?

I canā€™t make it work with 1.4. Meteor unable to read alias folder