Cross-Platform Deployment with Meteor and Windows Compatibility

Hello everyone,
I’m currently exploring Meteor and have a couple of questions. Firstly, I’m interested in knowing if there are any Meteor projects out there where components compiled on other operating systems can be successfully deployed on Windows (not Windows Server). If anyone has examples or insights into how this compatibility is achieved, I’d love to hear about it.

Secondly, I’m on the lookout for open-source projects based on the Meteor framework that are specifically developed in a Windows (not Windows Server) environment. Any suggestions or examples would be incredibly helpful.

Looking forward to your valuable insights. Thank you!

@jodanli Meteor is cross-platform by design. Developers can develop on Mac, Windows or a desktop linux machine and deploy to any kind of server.

The Mac is probably the primary dev platform for Meteor, or for that matter any Nodejs/Javascript project. It works ok on Windows, and there is nothing to stop you developing and targeting windows machines.

Compatibility is mostly handled in the browser, and Nodejs. The npm system looks after building native code on the CPU/OS of choice where needed. This build is usually done again on the target server at deployment time (Meteor doesn’t produce binaries)

I hope that helps a little

1 Like

@jodanli

Originally someone asked about this at Slack, so I copied my reply to here.

When building on Linux, there is build script to convert that bundle directory for Windows at releases directory of GitHub - wekan/wekan: The Open Source kanban (built with Meteor). Keep variable/table/field names camelCase. For translations, only add Pull Request changes to wekan/i18n/en.i18n.json , other translations are done at https://app.transifex.com/wekan/ only.

At same releases directory is also build scripts for converting Linux amd64 bundle to Linux arm64 and Linux s390x, but those need to be run at those CPUs to build fibers from source for that CPU. Also, currently Node.js 14.21.4 does segfault at Linux arm64 and Linux s390x, that will be fixed when upgrading to Meteor 3 and Node.js 20. Also with Meteor 3, fibers is not used anymore.

Info how to build at Linux is at Emoji · wekan/wekan Wiki · GitHub

Info to install to Windows is at Offline · wekan/wekan Wiki · GitHub

Website WeKan Open Source kanban is at https://wekan.github.io

It should work in any Windows 10 64bit and newer.

I don’t know does building at Windows or WSL2 work, Windows filesystem is very slow, WeKan has 60k files. I usually dual boot to newest Ubuntu (or Debian) and use SSD or NVME disk, or build at Linux server.

BR,
xet7
Maintainer of WeKan

1 Like

Some more info here: