Deploying a Meteor app to Galaxy - a step-by-step guide

I just closed my account with 1&1. They sold my email to marketers !!! I will make an account with name.com and see how that goes!!

This is confusing. So Do we set an account up with mlab first?

Either order is fine - but youā€™ll need to update your settings.json file to include your mongoURL which points to your mLab database.

Something like this:

{
"galaxy.meteor.com": {
      "env": {
        "ROOT_URL": "http://myappurl.com",
        "MONGO_URL": "mongodb://dbuser:dbpass@ds065748.mlab.com:65748/dbname",
        "MONGO_OPLOG_URL": ""
      }
    }
}

The MONGO_URL property is provided by mLab when you create your database.

Pain in the ass paying more for a server and not getting a MongoDB with it.

2 Likes

Hey @kaiyes so what was the problem in the end with 1&1? I just changed my DNS to point to Galaxy DNS, and redirected the address without subdomain to www.

What I think Iā€™ve lost is my MX configuration, which points to Google Apps, so I can have Gmail also.

Thank you so much.
I have just moved from free meteor deploy hosting that was shut down, to Galaxy.

I tried to do it myself, with the docs from the Galaxy and Meteor team, before I have seen your guide, and there were a lot of confusing parts that you made clear.

I wish your guide was part of their docs - @rohit2b are there any news about the updated version of the Galaxy docs?

Iā€™m sure it would bring them more usersā€¦

Iā€™m not using Mongo in my app, but itā€™s an indirect dependency. Just asked help if thereā€™s some easy way I can either track down which dependency has it as a direct dependency so I can remove it (for a custom, local version), pass a dummy value to ā€œMONGO_URLā€ in my settings.json or something else. Iā€™d love if it didnā€™t have to be passed even though Mongo is a(n in)direct dependency. Unless itā€™s passed, just donā€™t try to connect?

Thanks @andersr, managed to fix the problem. Error was in my environmental variables

Hey @andersr, this helped me out too, mucho gracias! :slight_smile:

@rohit2b - it might be worth adding a link to this thread on the current tutorials until the full guide can be fully updated.

ā€œROOT_URLā€: ā€œhttp://www.mydomain.com/ā€,

Currently my domain account is pointing to my older server. how do i point it to this new galaxy server?

Glad you found it useful!

Have you added a CNAME record pointing your custom domain to the meteor ingress domain? (galaxy-ingress.meteor.com)

in the box that says ā€œpoints toā€. do i delete the a record?

Generally, you should NOT be deleting any records, only adding a CNAME record. However, the details of how a CNAME record is added will be specific to your registrar.

For name.com. you would enter the following:

This will point www.yourdomain.com to your galaxy app, if configured properly on the Galaxy side.
Youā€™ll also likely want to create a permanent redirect on the registrar side from mydomain.com to www.mydomain.com

working thanks. xxxx

Hey @ashbygreg,

We released a new Galaxy Docs site with a more comprehensive deployment guide - and it was possible because of the great guide that @andersr made here!

Please check it out and let us know what we can do to make it better.