Docker, Meteor, and AWS ECS

We’ll have it up soon. We’ll let you know when it’s done.

Thanks! I’m glad you’ve liked them. SSL is tricky at first but after you get your crt and key files it’s actually not that bad. MUP is great and super useful for getting a production ready deployment up and running.

We like our current deployment setup because it has allowed for us to customize a lot of different things such as CPU and Memory allocation for our docker images based on how many resources each image needs (I’m sure we’ll see support for this in Mupx when it becomes stable). For me personally, I really enjoy knowing how everything is working under the hood so I tend to lean more towards manual deployments.

Pros and cons of manual deployments vs cli’s

Manual deployment:
pros:
customization - you have control over all of the environment variables, resources, instances, etc.

cons:
difficult - since meteor is still really new people are still learning how to get production ready deployments out so using a custom deployment is pretty hard

stability - if you looked at our AWS, OpsWorks, Docker tutorial you might have noticed that it doesn’t work anymore. Things like this can happen if you are running chef recipes or deploy scripts that are no longer compatible with meteor for whatever reason. My old EBS tutorial also doesn’t work with the newest release of meteor.

Using deploy scripts (MUP, admiral, demeteorizer)
pros:
consistent - unless a big change has happened in some core api these deploy scripts will almost always work

easy - there is a tutorial and extensive docs for these which allows for quick production ready deployments.

fast - no need to google problems that occur because there is almost always an answer in the docs or in a github issue

customizable - Things like mup are actually very customizable and can work for almost any deployment

cons:

understanding - it’s tough to know what’s actually going on under the hood if you never actually look at the source code. This isn’t always a bad thing. Good software abstracts away things that don’t need to be understood by every developer. Things like mup are great because they abstract a layer of difficulty away.

1 Like

Any updates on this? @khamoud, @jkatzen

@khamoud @arjunrajjain hi. Just wondering if anything else happened on this?