Fibers Public Roadmap and Meteor 3.0

Yeah i saw that, but when it will be released ? Should i take the branch and build locally to use meteor with newer node ?

I tried the lined fetch but it does not work, at least when I follow steps described meteor/DEVELOPMENT.md at devel · meteor/meteor · GitHub it ended up with

dzik in ~/Projects/meteor(update-node-18)  ./meteor --help
It's the first time you've run Meteor from a git checkout.
I will download a kit containing all of Meteor's dependencies.
#=#=-#    #
tar: Error opening archive: Unrecognized archive format
Failed to install dependency kit.
``` :(
1 Like

Hi @schapiro,
We are at node 14 on the latest alpha version (meteor update --release 3.0-alpha.10) of Meteor 3.0 to ensure everything works fine with all the giant changes we’ve made.
The next alpha release will target node 18, which is already in progress, as @rjdavid published above.
We hope to release it as soon as possible, probably the next month.

3 Likes

Hey people, quick bi-weekly update:

Here are the latest updates on the successfully completed tasks:

Currently, we are actively working on the following tasks:

The next alpha release will target node 18, and we hope to release it as soon as possible, probably the next month.

You can follow the updates on our Fibers Public Roadmap and on this Github PR

8 Likes

The next alpha release will target node 18, and we hope to release it as soon as possible.

11 Likes

• Run Meteor commands on Node v18 - Denilson, Gabriel, and Philippe are working together to finish this task promptly. Our team is committed to ensuring node v18 support for the upcoming Meteor 3.0 alpha release. This is most likely the final alpha version, and we should begin work on the first beta soon after.

14 Likes

I can’t wait to test the first beta. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

• Run Meteor commands on Node v18 - This task is basically finished. We’re just investigating one last issue with an NPM dependence that’s not being properly installed.

• Meteor 3 Alpha - In the next two weeks, we’re going to work to release the last Alpha version, so we can start working in the first beta.

• Update Meteor docs to version 3.0 - This one will probably take more than two weeks, but we’ll start now to prepare Meteor docs/guides to have all Meteor 3.0 changes well documented and explained.

19 Likes

We badly need this to join the testing of alpha/beta :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello people, quick bi-weekly update:

• Meteor 3 Alpha - We now have a final alpha version for Meteor 3.0 running with Node 18 :tada: To test this version you can, for example, create a new app like this meteor create --release 3.0-alpha.11 test-alpha-11, or update an existing app with this command meteor update --release 3.0-alpha.11.

We officially start to work on the first Beta version :fireworks: :comet:

• Update NPM to version 9 - Right now we have Meteor 3.0-alpha.11 with Npm 8. There were some issues when we tried to update directly to version 9.

• More will be started in the next few days

18 Likes

Hi guys, one more thing here. We already have an image that we can use to deploy your apps on Galaxy with this Alpha version.

We still haven’t set it as the default, so if you want to deploy it to Galaxy, you can add this to your settings:

{
  "galaxy.meteor.com": {
    "baseImage": {
      "repository": "meteor/galaxy-app",
      "tag": "20230831T140772Z_29ad488"
    }
  }
}
4 Likes

Great :heart_eyes:, this version of Meteor comes at the right time with one of my projects which needs a recent version of node to run “puppeteer-stream”, I managed to create the app I needed, thanks!

Anyone know a docker image to deploy this alpha with mup?

1 Like

All our images are available as well for 3.0-alpha.11

I believe our images are compatible with Mup.

If you have questions, feel free to send them to support@zcloud.ws

3 Likes

Hi, I just published a new topic about Performance tests on Meteor 3.

Please take a look and choose how you prefer to consume the results: Performance tests between Meteor 3 & Meteor 2 - Help on format

3 Likes

Thank you very much @filipenevola this image works!

‘zcloudws/meteor-node-mongodb-runtime:3.0-alpha.11-with-tools’

2 Likes

Hello people, quick bi-weekly update:

• Update NPM to version 9 - We have successfully updated NPM to version 9 :tada: This will be available in the next 3.0 release.

• Release a new Beta version - We will focus on delivering the first Beta version for the next two weeks. This version will include:
    • Update NPM to version 9
    • Review major/minor version of packages - A few days ago, we had discussions in the Slack community about how bumping core packages, that didn’t have a breaking change, to a new major version wasn’t a good idea because this is now making harder to update an app from version 2 to 3. So, we will review every package and revert this change to packages that don’t need a bump.
  • More will be started in the next few days

12 Likes

The link copy suggests that this has not been successfully migrated to npm 9 (“Right now we have Meteor at version 3.0-alpha.11 with Node 18 and Npm 8”). Does that need to be updated or is it correct?

I think the task status is done is what @denyhs wanted to highlight with the link.

Great work folks, really excited for this.

1 Like

ah! Got it :slight_smile: So focused on copy I did not notice the status checkmark.

1 Like

At the moment, we have the latest alpha with Node 18 and Npm 8
We just finished the update to npm 9, and we will release a new alpha version to include these changes.

6 Likes