Galaxy account suspended without notice

Today, Slack suspended some accounts from Iran people or some others that have used Slack in Iran. Should we still trust companies in USA, since what Slack have done, what Facebook have done etc. So sad.

@iirokak I can assure you that’s not what happened in the OP’s case. That being said, Slack (and others) are following US law - they’re not singling out Iran, they’re adhering to U.S. Department of Commerce legal sanctions.

I had been away for an early Xmas break hence had not seen that this had been active again. To only put attention once more to this post (as the case is mostly resolved) I’ll quote all open questions I’ve noticed below.

If that’s just the cost for electricity then why would AWS (the platform on which Galaxy is being run to the best of my knowledge) provide the same hardware for far less than the Galaxy account.

I have rarely used used Meteor Galaxy’s support (less than one query per annum over three years) and I would not suddenly ramp this up if I had access to faster support. Given this was a human error made by Galaxy and they might expect me to use their support only if they made another such blunder, I think I’m not asking the world but maybe effective time cost of $20 (or 2% of my annual spending) with an increased SLA.

I (usually without an SLA) have received responses within the hour from Vultr where I host my staging sites and pay $3.50 per month for a VPS that has more memory than the compact Galaxy container.

Thanks @hwillson. I’ll keep this in mind for the next time. I’ve not heard back from you on the email chain I had following my support ticket with Catrina Zhang if providing me one year of free 1 hour SLA support is an option (I’m not expecting to use it much unless something like this occurs again., which again I would not expect).

@thatgibbyguy essentially it as a human error. It seems that if you opt for an annual subscription of any sort, there is no real process established to cancel the subscription. So I emailed/raised a support request and this seemed to have been treated as a full account closure rather than just to default back on the PAYG (Pay as you go) plan as I had requested.

That combined with

• the suspension occurring outside of business hours (both US and UK where I live)
  • a very slow respones (end of business day in the US)

resulted in the 19 hour delay for the account to be reinstated. I hope MDG can make sure they introduce a process that is more protective of customers and/or enforce it in future.

I have had other services eg. Vultr suspending accounts when I accidentally cannibalized resources on a VPS so this can happen in a lot of places. The specifi issue was that I had reverted from an annual subscripion to PAYG (not being more clear than that in my request) and it seems they assumed PAYG did not mean pay as you go but was some code for termination of the service - which they did through suspension, a few days after I thought everything should have been switched over.

If you have 10 instances you would probably be better off with their $399 support package that guarantees a 1 hour support SLA.

I would also recommend you have a method to push to some alternative VPS via MUP as a fallback (this worked for me and my clients were back live within 1 hour of me getting up).

One issue I experienced was that I don’t manage my client’s DNS records and the company who does that was useless in to instances. So I could not provide the temporary service under the usual domains. I hope to switch this in the new year so that …

• Client domain is a CNAME to a domain I control with the terrible 24 hour TTL that the client’s DNS provider enforces.
  • The domain I control will have a 30 minute TTL or less and point to Galaxy by default but can be switched if I ever need to use a different provider.
1 Like

Thanks for closing the circle on this topic.

I’m locking it now, as I think everything’s been said.

1 Like