Galaxy - Platform-as-a-service-as-a-service

@khamoud I’d bet the oplog is they’re working on… probably first iteration of Galaxy.

1 Like

I don’t really have this problem for my app as the high-velocity data is all user-specific and can be sharded off so that all the app servers don’t need to be observing any more than the shard they are serving for that data. So for my needs Meteor is horizontally scalable as it stands (as far as I know, I haven’t implemented it yet!). I also have other major optimizations for scalability in the plans including moving an awful lot out onto the client.

But I see the problem if the high-velocity data can’t be sharded or otherwise scoped but all users can and will update all data for all other users in realtime. Especially if each user has their own customized view onto that changing data. What they probably need in that case is a more thoroughly reactive approach. They mention other engines (RethinkDB, Firebase) as having better inherent support for reactivity.

Server-side Latency Compensation

Even better might be a specialized in-memory model layer, like an app server equivalent of minimongo. Essentially have a data tree of JavaScript objects in memory on the app server as a high-speed cache. When updates come in that are marked as needing to be in this cache (because they are so widely subscribed) the updates are done directly in memory to the JavaScript object, which has specific subscribers as observers. They get directly updated from memory in that case.

These caches can also have full replica subscribers from other app servers, bypassing the database for direct updates via an inter-Meteor server message queue. There would be limitations to the cache system just as there are for minimongo, but having essentially server-side latency compensation would be as much a win for that use case as our current client-side latency compensation is.

Let me know if it works! :smiley:

That’s what the Redis support is for.

3 Likes

@arunoda conducted a very interesting discussion about Galaxy with Justin Santa Barbara (MDG engineer) that answers some of the speculation made in this thread and here.

can deploy to modulus.io with database hosted on mongolab configured for oplog trailing in 15 minutes. Not worth 15 minutes of your time if you could make $100 / month x 100 clients?

No more free tier I suppose…

To get you started on Scalingo, every account has a 30-days free trial which allows you to run 1 application using a maximum of 5 containers.

I was looking for a Meteor free tier to deploy my app

Are there any news on the ETA of Galaxy? Are we talking weeks, months, years?

Soon™
"Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or
millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future.
“Soon” will arrive some day before the end of time

3 Likes

1.2 is very close to release (rc4 I think). Galaxy might come with it or not, though probably not. There is a Galaxy branch up on Github now. I hope for 1.2 but I’m guessing we’ll have to wait a bit longer.

2 Likes

https://www.meteor.com/services/galaxy

1 Like