Hands on experience with cloud IDEs?

Did you use the “free” tier, or the “Meteor” tier. If you create a workspace with their Meteor template, it will give you a bit of extra memory.

I used the provided Meteor template when prompted what workspace I wanted to create.

It had about 700 mb of memory but it still peaked over the limit immediately. But, the sample app was able to run.

I’ll try deploying my side project on it later today and see how it handles a more complete application.

I’m still talking with Cloud9 and @nonken about trying to improve the amount of memory used when running a Meteor project. Hopefully we’ll make some progress soon and it’ll give everyone a bit more room to maneuver.

@zak I was out on a holiday, sorry for the late response. Thanks a ton for the feedback! As @siyfion mentioned, we are looking into how we can get the memory usage down, it is odd. Keeping you posted!

Has anyone had any up to date experience with Nitrous Pro now that it’s been released?

I\ve been using the nitrous pro (standard) for two months now (migrated from lite that I was using over a year) and I get used to it now.
Ok the editor is not the best around, but the containers are fast, you have sudo access, and its quite stable environment.

I found their (new) paid plans not very flexible (compared with the lite), and they changed recently from per hour rate to flat rate.

It is not possible to debug server side code on Cloud9.

I have been using C9 for doing a simple tutorial and I had to restart meteor several times because I ran out of memory. Is very frustrating because things stop working and you don’t understand why.

So it is easy for beginners to start, but very frustrating to keep using it. Is there a way to reduce resources so it can work better? (is just a tutorial, nothing fancy here).

how about the preview browser within c9? I have trouble getting it working. It keeps referring an GET / error, and cannot display anything with a normal path starting http://

Got the same problem. Also, because my computer isn’t that new, c9 kind of use a lot of the power on it, which makes it rather slow… I also had the memory problem. I’m getting that since hot code pushes always re-compile the code, it’s just to heavy on the free version. You just need more power…

i have this problem with ssh mode tho. it’s on my digitalocean server.

My Software Development Projects class tried using Cloud9, which seemed like it might work until we added a few packages. We would immediately hit the memory limit then. We added basics:
iron:router
twbs:bootstrap
accounts-ui
accounts-password

Other than that, the UI was very, very useable.
This was the free tier, however. Has anyone had success on a paid plan? I would gladly pay for it so this little team of four would have a common file location for this class- if it works.

Used the paid plan for a while, 1 paid user can host several free users and it works pretty nice. Only thing to watch for is the database because it sometimes starts “reserving” space like a maniac.

Just thought this was worth mentioning, Cloud 9 have recently doubled the amount of RAM they give you on their free tier, along with a 5x increase of disk space:

https://c9.io/blog/increased-limits-for-free-users-enough-is-almost-never-enough/

1 Like

Then they fell back to original settings, realizing that they either not squeezing competition as they had hoped or realized naively that theyre doing too much a favor since with 1.3 you’re not getting anything done with 1gb ram and 2gb hdd: unless you do workarounds for todo app.

They removed meteor support due to mongodb licensing, at which point they no longer can distinguish us as a special flower, additionally i’d bet they hope we pay for using meteor.

C9 has no more Meteor support?

You pretty much have to configure environment variables or something like it to enable mongoDB and install meteor

To use meteor on C9 you just have to copy the curl command to install meteor then run meteor --port $IP:$PORT. You may have issues with a free plan running out of memory but if you have a paid plan just resize and your good.

Why did Cloud9 get rid of the Meteor Button? Also, why does it take so long to get everything up and running? It seems like it takes forever!