I dont want to learn React

I’m not impressed by Facebook’s user interfaces, or user experiences. I have never been impressed by a product or feature that Facebook has built.

So why would I spend weeks of my time, tying myself to a technology or framework they have created?

4 Likes

That’s the same logic used by people who don’t like C# or Swift most of the time (who haven’t tried it). Look past who created it and look into if it’s worth while to use. Don’t get hung up on the who, check it out. Does it do what you think it should do and does it work for you? If not, don’t use it. No one is forcing you to (though there aren’t many strong competitors right now).

Guys! bootstrap was invented by twitter .in start people are making fun of it but now it become a standard .

Yeah but Twitter is an awesome company & product.

I will never learn React. Facebook has not proved to me they can build good web products. Spent years using normal Facebook. I regret it. Not gonna give React the benefit of the doubt and support the domination of an industry by an entity that has had a net negative effect on my life.

Support the companies and creators who work for you. Meteor works for me, Blaze works for me. Facebook and React do not work for me.

Hopefully Blaze can grow and be more powerful, useful, and impactful than React!

2 Likes

As my good friend John Oliver would say: How is this thread still a thing?

I will never learn React.

Okay, don’t.

Hopefully Blaze can grow and be more powerful, useful, and impactful than React!

I like Blaze as much as the next guy but this is the stuff ROTFLMAO is made of.

4 Likes

Haha word. Well once Facebook gets myspace’d you might have another opinion!

Lol. I also am not one to fan out over John Oliver. I can see we don’t share the same tastes. No sweat. Good luck to you!

Blaze is the kind of product that can move someone from knowing HTML and CSS, to being deeply engaged in building web applications.

With more people learning how to code at an earlier age, Blaze can be an increasing amount of people’s first contact with Javascript, and Web Application Development in general. I don’t think React has the potential to occupy that same market position, due to the fact that it’s just not as simple as Blaze. Simplicity, and straight forwardness, can be incredibly important when striving for scale :).

Don’t sleep on what you can’t yet imagine.

I am a recent learner of meteor and developing web applications. I think blaze should continue as I don’t want to be confused to learning new things.As I actually want to become verse in developing web applications. I choose to learn meteor because it aims to provide the necessary tools to to build complex apps and take out the task of choosing . At least that is what I got from reading and watching videos.

@arikamin you’re talking to the guy who wrote view-model…pretty sure he can imagine it…

4 Likes

I really do not get the point of this thread at all. Meteor supports Blaze, React, Angular etc. You do not like React for whatever reasons do not use it. Nobody is forcing you to use it or learn it or look at it. You can use Blaze, Angular or whatever comes to your mind that Meteor supports. There are other people who like to use React for there own reasons and thus you see all these threads about it on Meteor forums. The same is with other frameworks. So guys can we get on with it.

3 Likes

Yep, we had this discussion in about 3 different threads - Blaze vs. React. I think people have to learn that the question is not which view layer is the best, it is which view layer suits my needs for my current project. Blaze is atm still strong because of it’s packages and the integration within Meteor. This may change in the next 2-3 years. Then, the biggest fear is to rewrite the whole application, but the same thing can happen to you if you go with React, nobody knows how it’s API will look within the next years. So, as already said before, you have to decide by yourself which view layer suits your needs.

3 Likes

I posted this over on r/meteor but I’ll share it here as well.

I’m like the OP here - I didn’t want to change the way I built meteor apps. I loved the way it worked, I loved how fully isomorphic it was - and most importantly - I love HTML (and I really don’t like JSX).

But, the sad reality is there are basically zero job postings for “meteor/blaze developer” while there are damn near infinite postings for react. It’s important for developers of all stripes to stay up to date with things like this and I think it’s wise for meteor to long term move with the winds on this.

That’s why I wrote this blog on how to use react today without changing your workflow.

The hidden benefit of this is if you learn how to write apps like I show there, you can also move into ember with basically no change. So I’m obviously biased but I really think those of you who are timid can you dip your toes into react fairly simply with that post.

It is interesting to me that people say React “ignores designers”. I assume it’s because it’s harder for them to write code?

Why should designers be contributing any code? Shouldn’t they be designing?

Because years ago is was decided that “web designers” should be able to code up at least HTML/CSS/JS prototypes of their work, rather than just produce flat mockups.

“Design-in-the-browser” became the new hotness, and we gave some of the most complicated, arbitrary and illogical code that makes up a website (CSS along with SASS), to the people who are the least equipped (and willing) to deal with it.

Speaking as a designer who became a front-end dev, who became a back-end dev…proper CSS architecture is way more complicated than anything else I’ve found!

1 Like

Well said, I wish I could like multiple times.

The best thing that any framework can offer enterprise is stability. That is what Spring has brought to Java and is why so many enterprises are now running Java. Spring is extremely stable, each version is a reasonably small number of incompatibilities with the previous.

Meteor has also done this in my opinion, but not as well (though they’re getting better about it).

React still remains to be seen

And some random food for thought - the Spring creator is on the Meteor board

Maybe it’s time to abandon those old ways then.

1 Like

I am a recent learner of meteor and developing web applications. I think blaze should continue as I don’t want to be confused to learning new things

That is a sensible thing to do. However, you should still consider learning new things as they will help your skill-set grow, and hopefully, your current skill-set will also benefit.