Inline styles with React - thoughts?

Also, see,

http://csweb.ucc.ie/~dongen/TeX-SX/12-13/LAF-Jargon.png

All that is basic LaTeX. We learn it in LaTeX 101. Try doing that in CSS.

Methinks, CSS3 is outdated and should be overhauled in a very big way. They should learn from LaTeX. PS: LaTeX was created by Donald Knuth because he did not like the typesetting back in his time when he published this book - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Computer_Programming

Yeah, it creates classes on the fly.

I think a combination of global styles, like grids, typography, etc mixed with component-specific styles using something like React-JSS will work out pretty well in the long run.

Css is still figuring out how to do margins and paddings? You do realise that whatever shiny plugin you use is generating cs because you are working with web pages. Incidentally. Have you seen facebooks site over the small footprint of time its been around? Not exactly ground breaking design. Im from an art background and i get hired and kept on jobs because i can style quickly in ( guess what) css. I can style anything to any design. I have absolute control of every nuance like a carpenter does with wood editing css. You ikea furniture makers are limited in your output.

1 Like

That’s ridiculous. It’s not like there’s some contest as to whether CSS is better than JS styles, it all boils down to whatever works for a particular project. You realize that JS styles are not actually CSS, right? There’s a difference, so you can’t directly compare the two. Not to mention that one can achieve with JS styles pretty much everything you can do in CSS.

Oh so the styles that appear in the dom inspector are just there for laughs? Haha. So you dont think they arent generated via js? You’re right. They’re not comparable. Js is a css preprocessor.

I’m not sure how this discussion became so combative. Sheesh!

I never said the styles in the DOM weren’t generated by JS. I said they aren’t CSS, because as a CSS expert, you surely know that CSS stands for “Cascading Style Sheets,” and there is no cascading going on with JS styles.

JavaScript is a language, and has nothing to do with CSS.

I must admit i have got a little carried away and kudos to you for not being too competetive. The reason for me being irked is css and our existing preprocessors like sass and less work and work well and didnt need changing. We already have to give up some of our personal life outside of work to keep our technology learning up to date to get work. When you get to my age maybe you might also get a bit anoyed when the next popular trend comes out and challenges the existing way you do something but really adds no benefit then you might feel the same way. I can tell you with confidence, every framework has an inevitable life expectancy. When react becomes superceded by another framework all your inline css will have to be refactored. Its not a transferable approach. Angular 2 is around the corner. Don´t get too comfortable.

I could possibly already be your age :wink:

Valid points for sure about life expectancies. Things change. Though I have a feeling that libraries like React and Angular are here to stay. They might change drastically in coming years, and maybe be replaced by something with a new name. Or maybe not, who knows? We should just use the tools we have now that work best for what we need, and suit our personal coding styles the best.