Is disabling Websockets bad? (Cloudflare)

As the title suggest I’m just confused about the implications of disabling Websockets for Cloudflare?
I can’t seem to find much help elsewhere.

Basically I have an app hosted on namecheap + digital ocean + ssl, and I’m wondering what the implications of disabling Websockets to switch to cloudflare will be.

-Thanks!

EDIT: I changed my answer below.

I don’t know what you mean by turning DDP off or why you would want to. DDP is the protocol in which meteor runs on. Without DDP you could not handle pub/subs or meteor methods/calls. Your client would not be able to connect to your meteor server. If you were just trying to get Blaze on the client and run your own custom backend then it would work but removing DDP from your app would essentially render your app useless. For more info on DDP I recommend reading the README from the DDP package.

Sorry that was poor wording on my part!
I meant disabling websockets.

Ohhh hahaha. In that case, the problem with disabling websockets is that it will revert your app to long polling. Not necessarily the worst thing ever depending on what you are building.

Okay that makes sense.
I’m doing pretty intensive reactive things based on pub sub…

Maybe I wont be able to take advantage of cloudflare at this time!
-Thanks for your help

The aws deployment setup that I have allows for sticky sessions, websocks, and ssl. My friend and I wrote a blog that walks you through the steps to get that set up. I’m not sure if it would support cloudflare or not because we don’t use it but it could be worth investigating.

1 Like

Alright thanks man I’ll take a look!

1 Like

Disabling WS slow down the data loading a bit. It could vary depending your app. We used WS disabled with kadira for few months and it was very very usuable.

Now we’ve moved from CF and now we could turn on WS. It gives some speed benefit and we could differentiate the speed different. But still, disabling WS is not a bad idea at all.

But, you need to justify why you do so. If it’s just only for caching static pages, then use a different domain for DDP traffic.
If it’s for SSL, go for it.

1 Like