Is it time to leave Meteor & MDG?

In was a real fan of meteor untill I found feathers.js. Finally an open source and modular alternative to meteor that builds really fast and is eazy to learn. It works on express and other popular technologies so its really nice! You should try it and maybe be saved from the meteor storm thats gonna give you a lot of headake

4 Likes

It’s super hard for me to say Flex is good code - it was written in AS1, ported to AS2, then badly ported to AS3 in a way that never matched any of the AS3 best practices, now it’s even cross compiled to JS - it was bloated and slow, and hard to deal with.

Flash was Okay, but had a TON of technical debt, it’s scripting engine is based on a fork of Mozilla’s Spidermonkey, a fork that Mozilla doesn’t have a hand in (because the JS community largely dumped ES4 on which AS3 is based), and as a result has none of the most important optimizations from the last few years, and so has fallen way behind the other JS engines, and was mostly private source and proprietary (much of it licensed to Adobe from obscure third party sources). I loved Flash back in the day (my name was in the Flash Pro about box as a top beta tester in one of the CS versions), and I have a lot of respect for what the engineers at Adobe tried to do, but it died for a reason.

1 Like

My opinions that choosing Javascript frameworks should be the students’ choice/preference and should be self-taught/online courses. I don’t recommend MeteorJS to be taught in schools where they can’t risk learning full stack framework when the frontend technology change year by year, will there be a new frameworks pop up?

MeteorJS is overly complicate and lack of communications was surface some time ago, indeed, without a proper working modules and plugins, it’s an expensive to maintain and time-consuming to debug problem during productions.

Why not teach FP, OO and POP using Swift 3? We have a great time communicating on the development with the Apple team and developers from all walk of life are extremely valuable and improve language clarity year by year better than sticking to Javascript.

Functional programming with Protocol Oriented Programming is a valuable and easy to master than Scala and Ruby On Rails.

Web framework similar to Laravel :heart:

Building Pokedex, :heart: it!

Well, we know a few high profile developers never posted Adobe Flex anymore, switching to any languages that supported functional programming. This paradigm helps a lot for every projects reduce complexity. Mediator patterns in Flex is crazy complicated, that not the way developers should write.

1. In software, the ability to change, adapt and innovate is critical
  2. Since the core parts of the stack apollo is designed to address are abstracted away from the meteor developer, as long as a clear migration path is provided for those who have bought in to the current ecosystem is provided – it should be a good thing*
  3. I’m not excited that the view portion of the stack is so sharded – blaze is great, react is where the community wants to go, angular2 is what I want to use – But a path to getting there is not clear, as it renders a lot of the current atmosphere based packages useless
  4. Javascript (the community) in of itself changes every six months, so I’m just not surprised

I’m happy that MDG is moving to the future but the communication of their endgame kinda sucks

• I put a star by this one, because I hope the MDG realizes that not a lot of “full stack” meteor developers have operations experience, so managing a graphql/relay server/stack is not easy

I don’t think so.

The product is still improving. It is well funded and has great individuals working on it.

5 Likes

:fireworks:

Break things and move fast.

I think MeteorJS is moving fast, and also actively & positively embracing the ecosystem, integrating with webpack, react (native), npm & many other very great tools.

Meteor is evolving towards the right direction and in a fast pace with a community of high talents, I believe Meteor has a bright future.

5 Likes

Reading this thread just repeatedly reminds me of this:

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20151030

8 Likes

I’ve been an avid reader of that webcomic since I think 2008? It’s a video game centric comic which does all sorts of one offs about things that pertain to gamers. This one was done late last year, after there seemed to be one “gate” after another in rapid succession. Since then I’ve just kept this particular strip around because it’s relevant so freaking often!

1 Like

for everybody’s convenience.

7 Likes

OMG Yes, so much this! Thank you for “fixing” it!

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Feathers for data fetching

Hey @kaiyes I looked up feathers js that you had written in the comic. And I just watched this on feathers js, very cool.

This makes it more clear why MDG is now pivoting.

1 Like

I read on crater.io that the pace of MDG’s dev has been slowing down significantly. Is it true that the project is down to one MDG team member focusing on the product and for 1.5 that focus is 100% Apollo?

It would almost be worth it to leave Meteor just to be free from debates about leaving Meteor.

10 Likes

@eddyborja - The majority of us are using Meteor happily and productively without being active in the forums.

14 Likes

Agreed 100%

My day job is being part of a team building an iOS and Android app - we love Meteor. We would not have been ready to release our app if we had to maintain 2 native (Objective-C, and/or Swift, and Java) code bases. Not to mention how out of sync they would have become over time, (which happened before we switched to Meteor) and the need for separate developers with strengths in iOS and Android dev languages.

For the company I work for, Meteor has been a {insert-favourite-diety-here}-send … and we’ve also attracted more investment dollars simply because we’ve been able to iterate so quickly, and with hot code push, send the latest demo version to board members and investors.

Yes, we still use Blaze for templating, but use a Framework7 package for styling etc.

But our devs know Blaze (with all its faults :heart:) and have produced an app that runs on iOS and Android (and the web too) and feedback from our industry has been very positive - we’ve signed up (as far as I hear the sales team talking around me day to day) about 23% of the total market in Australia so far.

And we’re about to release V2.

So my takeaway from all the Blaze / React / Apollo (what?) stuff is:

It has worked for us in the past.
It is working for us now.
It will work for us in the future.

On mobile, we’ve obviously had some issues, but nothing that has been a killer and there has been nothing we haven’t been able to resolve - whether we chuck out an Atmosphere package and replace with an Npm or whatever.

We’re still committed to Meteor the way we use it now, ie: Blaze templates + Framework7 layout + MongoDB (3.2 on the server)- we’re at Meteor 1.4.1.1 at the moment and everything still works.

So to answer @almog original question - “Is it time to leave Meteor & MDG?” -

No, not for us, at this point. Who knows for the future, but at this time, everything that we have built runs well so we see no reason to change.

Absolutely agree 100%

I’ve done that.

And honestly?

I’m 56 years old, and goodness, for me, evaluating all the other myriad offerings out there,
what a learning curve!

I don’t really feel the need to try to learn all that when I know (now) what Meteor (+ packages + Npm (now)) can provide.

So I’m sticking with Meteor right or wrong for the forseeable future - but I’ll be dead soon, so … :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Unfortunately I have to read the forums from time to time to look for people’s advice on specific technical issues related to Meteor, but I try to rely on other sources nowadays.

1 Like

I’m going to lock this thread, since the discussion seems to have finished off - Discourse allows you to start a new thread as a response to any post, so do that if you want to reply to something in particular.

3 Likes