Is meteor creating its own manifest.json file?

I’ve put a manifest.json file in my public folder (since it has to be in the root folder) in order to enable push notifications but when I open the manifest.json on our website I see lots of generated stuff from meteor but not our manifest.json content.

How do we use manifest.json properly with meteor?

Hey Andreas,

were you able to resolve this issue ?

Yes, I was!

You just have to put your manifest.json file into your public folder, but give it a specific name, like your_manifest.json, since manifest.json is already taken by meteor.

Now you can actually reference in your main.html file this your_manifest.json. It is basically possible to use any .json file as the manifest, however only the last manifest reference will be actually used. I think this overrides (meaning, the meta tag in your main.html file will use the custom manifest instead of the one automatically generated) the standard meteor manifest, I am not sure what implications that may have for you (I couldn’t find any problems so far).

1 Like

I am doing something similar to you. I am trying to integrate OneSignal pushing messaging api.

We did exactly that for onesignal.

Given that you are using the proper server keys and IDs in your onesignal setup this gist should give you an idea how to set it up.

This seems like a great service. I see there’s a free tier, at what point do you need the paid plans?

Not really sure. I’m guessing it’s in the 1000s of push messages per day.

Thanks for the answer. If I only have a web application (it’s not converted to mobile), could I still send push to phones somehow?

Yes, you can subscribe to push notifications with most browsers now. You can test it out with your phone, just subscribe to the onesignal notifications on their website then your phone will give you a notification saying thanks for subscribing or similar.

Nice! How difficult was it to integrate this feature in Meteor?

Thank you Andreas for detailed reply.

I did exactly as above, but I get gcm_sender_id field missing although the message points to the correct manifest file with valid gcm sender id. Have you see something similar during your integration ?

Ravi

I am not sure anymore if that’s about the gcm sender id in your manifest or in the onesignal account but be careful, when they are talking about the project number somewhere they are really referring to the number, not ID. Your Google projects have an ID and also a number. It’s important to use both of them at the correct place, also make sure your API key from Google is a server key.

Not that hard except for the confusions with the IDs that I’m clearing up in the thread. We actually are going to publish a webcomponent soon for that based on OneSignal (as soon as we hopefully get a free package developer Galaxy account @sashko hehe cough your team has an email from us).

@AndreasGalster How can I use one signal to send notification within my app? is it possible??

You can send to Android Phones but iOS does not support browser notifications at this stage.

Hi Andreas,

You have resolve your issue ? I’ve try to add my manifest.json on my public folder and in my , but on chrome (Android), i’ve no result for display my APP on standalone :

app-manifest.json

Hi,

I’m having the same problem as @leg3ndz. It appears that my manifest.json isn’t working.

Did you solve your issue, @leg3ndz?

Thanks in advance.