JavaScript Fatigue

You may wanna check this package out. It covers both Flux and Redux patterns.

1 Like

One of the most helpful threads/conversions/dialogues Iā€™ve ever read about Meteor.

To OP: Your post did more to address my concerns about the churn rate of the NodeJS ecosystem and how thatā€™s creeping into Meteor than any whining post from a frustrated developer, or any cloak-and-dagger statement from MDG.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Redux has definitely made my life easier, if only for the great redux-forms which makes forms a breeze. Watching upcoming tools and understand what they solve is important. Donā€™t go blindly learning a tool if you donā€™t know why you would need it.

1 Like

You shouldnā€™t really be using jQuery with React though. You can use jQuery but itā€™s far from recommended, since React likes to take full control of the DOM.

Youā€™d be better off with this markup:

<input id="my-input" type="text" name="myInput" onChange={this._onChange} />

and this JS:

event.target.myInput.value;

1 Like

Iā€™m in the middle of evaluating Redux, but for awhile now, this is exactly how Iā€™ve used the ā€œFluxā€ pattern. The mechanics described above is pretty much implemented in this package (but there are others): https://atmospherejs.com/woody/flux

1 Like

I trigger events during some of my automated testing. Like I said, I fixed it by making my testing framework smart enough to do it their way if itā€™s a react component Iā€™m testing, but itā€™s annoying that it didnā€™t just work.

1 Like

Oh, I seeā€¦ I mis-read and thought you needed to do that in production. Iā€™ve had really good luck with webdriver based tools like Chimp or Capybara. Iā€™ve tinkered a bit with the React test utils but theyā€™re pretty low level.