MDG Dev Team Changes?! Lets remember and thank those who left

@avital it looks like we come from a similar background on that side of things… were you part of the demo or BBS scene back then?

Yeah exactly – both. There was a small demoscene in Israel that grew out of the BBS scene… Oh the days before the Internet. Everything was so simple :slight_smile: But learning how to program was all about finding some random .txt file on that one BBS that happened to had it. There was no “search”. Ha!

6 Likes

I agree. Burning out is no fun…

I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that you were one of the SysOps I was talking to over the phone back in those days :smiley:

It’s not that difficult, I could teach you but last time I did that was when I was 15 myself. :wink: It was a pretty fun thing to do in the pre-Internet times.

Greetings to all the demoscene folks, let’s shed a tear or two for the good old times.

@avital Just love your work with a special shout out for your Meteor Salt Lake City meetup webcast some years ago which was one of the first I watched and went a long way in getting up to speed in the framework and all the best to you in all of your future endeavors.

I may be wrong, but i think David Greenspan (the blaze creator) has left too.

He is no more mentionned here :
https://www.meteor.com/people

:cry: seems like it.

Ouch - never great to hear we’re losing the second highest Meteor contributor. Thank you very much for your years of hard and awesome work @dgreensp - you will definitely be missed!

4 Likes

I’m not sure if this means something, but 4 of the 6 top contributors are no more working at MDG.

1 Like

I’m hoping it’s a question of the innovator developers moving on to find new challenges as their babies are now largely complete and the maintainer developers stepping in to carry on evolving and maintaining their good work.

I’m hoping/guessing we’ll see new innovator developers joining to lead in the new areas MDG are now building out (Galaxy and Apollo primarily).

6 Likes

Yes, and as long as we keep seeing @sashko post on these forums, we know everything is going to be okay (if he tries to leave I’ll be the first in line to nail the virtual doors shut! :slight_smile: ).

6 Likes

+1 for @sashko. That guy is awesome.

5 Likes

Evan You (from vue.js) has also left MDG.

From https://hashnode.com/ama/with-evan-you-cilauq0uu0027tl53gsjkhbmd

So yes, I’ve left Meteor. This is a combination of quite a few things:

• Meteor as a framework is now front-end agnostic (which makes the frontend work mostly just integrating React/Angular) and the company doesn’t seem interested in supporting Vue strategically.
  • Meteor as a company is now primarily positioned as a PaaS (because Galaxy is currently its primary revenue source), and the focus of the company has a increasingly smaller overlap with my technical interest.
  • Vue is growing faster than I thought.

I don’t have a very clear plan at the moment, just exploring the possibilities of working on Vue fulltime while focusing on the baby. Oh and it’s a boy :slight_smile:

3 Likes