MDG plan for a tracking package

This would certainly help gauge things like react vs. blaze vs. angular without relying on google searches or forum posts.

This also lets MDG gauge where to expand galaxy to next, etc.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your fantastic feedback so far. Iā€™m pleased to see the genuine nature of the discussion and that the community understands our intentions are positive.

In trying to come up with a consensus around what people have been saying, Iā€™ve been able to identify the following trends:

1. There is discomfort with having to opt-out of census. People would prefer to opt-in instead, e.g by writing meteor install census or by being prompted with a Y/N question.

2. People want to know exactly what data census sends and perhaps a way to customize this.

3. There is a desire for the census data to become publicly available. Itā€™s probably best to do this in aggregate form to maintain individual privacy.

Is that an accurate summary? Did I miss something important?

12 Likes

I believe this currently happens by tracking the .meteor/.id file that meteor generates whenever it canā€™t find a .id file? Based on the wording, this is sent to Troposphere (could have the name wrong) server any time you connect to grab a package. Does this seem to sum up the current state of tracking that has already in place for a while?

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure of the technical details but we track package installs/app. Beyond the statistics for Atmosphere we donā€™t currently do anything with this data. For the 20% of apps that weā€™ve identified, weā€™ve actually used a pretty low tech solution - http://builtwith.com/ . It would be way neater and more comprehensive to be able to obtain this data using census.

1 Like

With the Meteor 1.3-RC announcement, @benjamn advertised March 21st as the scheduled date for final release. Will census be included by default with this release?

From my perspective it will be better to wait for Meteor 1.3.1.

Link to my first post in this thread
Link to my second post in this thread

I pledge that you guys use server side tracking of packages, installs and qualative surveys of your own infrastructure first to do market research. Also third parties

Meteor is simply a build tool to create a sophisticated node.js Javascript-File - it is not okay to inject any sort of tracking code that is executed on runtime on others infrastructure.

Provide a ā€˜mdg:consensusā€™ package that people can add and provide them value in return for it. I.e. a basic analytics page at meteor.com / galaxy which letā€™s devs see historic usage of their app with some basic server load metrics of collections, methods and sessions compared to other apps using the basic consensus tracking (getting a feel for load etc) - this is also great benchmarking of your hosting to others and a way to advertise your ā€œno-worriesā€ galaxy offer.

Try to create immidiate win:win situations without high jacking the ā€œopenā€ from open source.

Otherwise Iā€™ll might pull request my tracking code for all the tech consultants out there :wink: - seriously - donā€™t touch this!

5 Likes

No, the package being discussed in this thread wonā€™t be in Meteor 1.3 at all, last I heard. We want to make sure this discussion can come to a conclusion first.

3 Likes

Honestly, speaking from my very personal point of view, I wouldnā€™t mind using a framework that helps target the right tech consultants in my direction. (Not an official MDG point of view here at all!)

Totally see that. But just build many great KPI hooks into the meteor open source stack (like urigo already did), so that mdg, kadira, and dinos packages can hook easily into the system. Or just like Google Analytics: Provide Galaxy Analytics where I as a consultant I can join your meteor project to see whatā€™s up. Just adding mdg:analytics

Hey great news - weā€™re going to talk about this on the next TRANSMISSION show, with the Meteor and Galaxy project managers, @zoltan and @rohit2b. Show is recording on Friday and will come out next week! Get notified when the show comes out, and help ask questions here:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s correct. We decided we need to collect more feedback from the community before releasing it.

5 Likes

I just want to echo the thoughts here and underline that for an open-source project to maintain trust and uphold general privacy principles, this ought to be opt-in.

It might be a good idea to espouse the advantages of using this package during installation, but please donā€™t include it by default. Like one of the comments above, statistics can help MDG reason about features and errors using a small enough sample size to not warrant mass data collection.

2 Likes