Meteor 1.3 *early beta* now available

Thanks. That removed the Cannot find module jQuery error.
The others did not go away, however.

The FlowRouter v2 branch is also fixed in v2.11.0

Release candidate running smooth for me now!

Anyone else running into this problem with the latest RC?

While building package mwc-compiler:
error: couldn't install npm package mkdirp@0.5.1: Command failed: 'C:\Users\Andreas' is not recognized as an
internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
'C:\Users\Andreas' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

While building plugin `compile-ext` in package `mwc-compiler`:
error: couldn't install npm package chokidar@1.2.0: Command failed: 'C:\Users\Andreas' is not recognized as an
internal or external command,
'C:\Users\Andreas' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

@jesperwe In my experience, I find that the FlowRouter error happens because some other error prior to your routes being set up happens, and prevents your FlowRouter setup code from happening. In my cases (itā€™s happened a bunch) I fix some other error, and FlowRouter then works. What do your errors look like now?

In my mind, as the one putting out these releases, ā€œrelease candidateā€ implies no new features will be added before the official release, not that the RC is totally bug-free. Sorry for any confusion there.

13 Likes

From wikipedia :

A release candidate (RC) is a beta version with potential to be a final product, which is ready to release unless significant bugs emerge. In this stage of product stabilization, all product features have been designed, coded and tested through one or more beta cycles with no known showstopper-class bug

However if you want a stable release you have to use a final release, not a version intended for testing as is a release candidate.

4 Likes

Interesting, thanks for that definition! So then RC1 and RC2 are not, in fact, release candidates :slight_smile: (since they both have show-stopper bugs)

1 Like

What is the best place to know what is the latest available version of the 1.3 beta? At the moment Iā€™ll see people talking about beta.11 or rc2 and then search for them.

Is this the official MDG stance on the definition of a ā€œrelease candidateā€?

Nobody ever said that we expect a release candidate to be bug-free. You are putting words into our mouths in a desperate attempt to defend yourself.

Nobody expects a release candidate to be dead-on-arrival as the first 3 have been. It would even be bad to see in a beta release (but weā€™d be more forgiving). The problem was never fixed since it arose in beta.16, when really it should have been fixed before the first release candidate. These are the basis of our disappointment.

It feels as if the only reason to why you started labeling the most recent releases as ā€œrelease candidateā€ was in order to appear to meet a deadline to start releasing a ā€œrelease candidateā€ by a specified date.

I was reminded of this post: http://hueniverse.com/2016/01/26/how-to-use-open-source-and-shut-the-fuck-up-at-the-same-time/

7 Likes

Iā€™m glad you care enough about this release to be so disappointed, and Iā€™m glad you let me know.

You may be onto something there. I definitely am eager to see this release finished and ship it sooner rather than later, and my foresight about the work thatā€™s left certainly isnā€™t perfect. But a bug that totally ruins your developer experience during an explicit pre-release testing period is a bug that absolutely will be fixed before the final release. Now, itā€™s my prerogative to release additional betas or candidates or whatever we should be calling them, even if they donā€™t fix that particular bug, because I want to check my sanity about other bugs, or I just havenā€™t found the right solution to the bug you care most about. Take me to task if 1.3 is dead-on-arrival for you, but please, please bear with me while we get there.

20 Likes

By the way, if you really want to stay on top of the latest fixes, at the risk of some instability, running Meteor from a checkout might be your best option:

git clone --branch release-1.3 https://github.com/meteor/meteor.git
./meteor/meteor # Unix
.\meteor\meteor.bat # Windows

At the very least, you wonā€™t have to feel like youā€™re ā€œstuckā€ on a broken release any longer than it takes to fix it.

I do appreciate all the good work that you have done, and will put all of the disappointment behind after this particular dead-on-arrival problem (that has persisted for over a week) is rectified. I donā€™t mean to spur any flame war as Iā€™d prefer that we all spend our time being materially productive (specifically, that you spend your time fixing this and other bugs).

1 Like

Nice! And totally spot on. Hey @tab00, did you read this carefully?

Can we please stop with the antagonistic comments? Thereā€™s no need to incite things further on a genuinely useful thread such as this one.

2 Likes

(From the wonderful ā€œIncentivizeā€ thread on Discourse Meta: https://meta.discourse.org/t/incentivize-replacements/2668/4)

6 Likes

How can I install the 1.3 RC2 on my Mac? I have 1.2 installed locally. I want to create a new Meteor app with it and try it out. Thank you.

The big difference is that the people working on Meteor are not unpaid volunteers. They are employees who are paid to do their job, and therefore there is the expectation that they will do it properly.

ā€œOpen sourceā€ does not always mean product of unpaid voluntary work.

You can use meteor create myapp --release 1.3-rc.2 to create a new app with the specified release.

Thatā€™s true, but you are not a paying customer of MDG, therefore, they owe you nothing. Iā€™d hate to see how you treat employees working on products and services you do pay for. :unamused:

Nobody providing a service or product to you that you donā€™t pay for owes you anything, bottom line. VirtualBox acting up? Too badā€¦ report it, and wait for a fix. mupx not working right with Meteor 1.3? Report it, and wait, or fix it yourself. Now, if youā€™re paying for Galaxy and itā€™s acting up, then you have a right to complain, and MDG has an obligation to respond and make things right.

Check your attitude. Be respectful of people pouring blood, sweat, and tears into something weā€™re all using for free, and some of us are using to turn a profit.

9 Likes