Meteor Galaxy Auto-Scaling Package

I’m a bit puzzled by the lack of presence of the official galaxy representation in this thread and the Meteor forums in general. You would think they would be more active here since it’s them main source of revenue for MDG and most of their potential clients are hanging around these threads.

Maybe I’m missing something here, but I’m really puzzled by this, I think it’s better for Meteor and the MDG business that they’ve a close eye on this community.

1 Like

Dear all,

please keep in mind that MDG has to make money, also VCs have had an interest like this when they invested.
I wonder why you have an issue with this. Meteor is free and should be in the future. So I am proud to pay for Galaxy and even ordered the Pro package without having a need for it. :raising_hand_man:

If I have issues with server load, I have customers - that’s the point. :nerd_face:
Please ask yourself, where you business would be if you had no Meteor.

I hope Meteor has a great future and I would even pay more to make that sure. :smiley:

Don’t get me wrong, I understand you - I just wanted to point out the business point of view.

Cheers

2 Likes

That is great, and I share your sentiment and goal in making MDG even more profitable and Meteor better. All I’m saying that for that goal to happen, I personally think that they need to pay closer attention to threads like this.

1 Like

Amen to this. After all, this is the official forum, right?

1 Like

This thread was also featured on the regular forum update email, so you’d think that some of the key Meteor players like @sashko would’ve seen it and passed along to the Galaxy team.

On topic, thanks for writing this up @avariodev! The Meteor/Galaxy ecosystem definitely needs something like this.
Autoscaling is the sort of “Set it and forget it” infrastructure functionality that originally drew me to Galaxy.

I’ve been asking for auto-scaling to their support for one year. Last time (few months ago) they said they were focusing in Alerts and no ETA for auto-scaling nor 2-factor auth.

For enterprise class applications not having 2-factor authorization, alerts, and auto-scaling is really a big problem. We may be forced to either go back to Heroku or invest more in our dev ops and build our own system on AWS. I’ve communicated this to MDG multiple times with no real feedback except, nope!

2 Likes

Random plug, I’ve added a super simple alert function for my scraper plugin.

I added it mainly for my own deployment, but I tried to make to code somewhat general so people can easily customize if desired.

Thanks, checking it out right now.

It would be nice to have MDG input on this.

I currently run my Meteor application on Galaxy. I recently had a situation where I had huge swings in user load (10 users increased to several hundred in a matter of minutes). This went on for a few days. Having to manually scale up and down the number of containers was less than ideal. I either had complaints that the app was running slowly (or not able to load due to maxed out CPUs), or I had to increase my container count to something that would be way too much to pay on a monthly basis for my needs. I love how easy it is to deploy to Galaxy and all of the current features. But not having autoscaling is cost prohibitive for my business and I’m seriously looking into switching to AWS EC2 just to have this feature. +1 for autoscaling. Please and thank you!

3 Likes

In the last Transmission video (is this the name?) they said they may have the future somewhat ready, and that auto scaling is hard.

So it would be really good for them to jump in the discussion with their input.

With this, now it looks like autoscaling can be more of a built in service. https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/aws-auto-scaling-unified-scaling-for-your-cloud-applications/

This is what Galaxy support told me:

“I’m afraid I can’t share an ETA for when you might be able to schedule servos to start/stop, or auto-scale based on load. This isn’t in our roadmap, and while I understand this would be useful in your situation, we haven’t committed to implementing this feature.”

My guess is not supporting autoscaling is an economic decision.

Autoscaling saving you money === Galaxy losing money

2 Likes

Haha @skirunman, what’s your issue with amazon adding auto scaling?

Whoops, responded to wrong comment.

Where’s my downvote button :angry:

Anyone made use of this? https://github.com/zodern/mup-aws-beanstalk Looks to be maintained.

Yes. But we are having problems deploying it with it. We’ve opened an issue.