Meteor is not dead yet. At least if you look at the codebase

Tons of :clap: to @sashko’s comment above. Really nails it.

For me, I’m still so much in love with Meteor. There is simply no other framework/tech I’m this productive with from day 0, and that I haven’t outgrown. I like the stack (the “backend” and Blaze) and the ease of not having to configure a Webpack config for everything.

It would be a very sad day if the Meteor I know and love goes under. There are very smart people at MDG, and Meteor is very high tech under the hood. I appreciate their hard work every single day.

:clap: :clap: to MDG.

24 Likes

This should be pinned somewhere visible! Almost flawless backward compatibility is one of the big things that makes Meteor so special. Low learning curve comes a close second.

This framework is the most reliable tool we ever worked with. At illustreets, we are very thankful for it!

8 Likes

Yes stability of the system is prime importance to us as a company. We have a big production application running at various customer site and we do need a stable framework. We can work around big changes but not at an extreme case as it is really difficult for us to update customers just because underlying framework has changed.

This is may bother people who want to live with the cutting edge but with companies invested heavily in meteor and with a on premise product it would become a nightmare if the framework changes every few months. We would love that meteor moves totally to npm but not at the cost of stability.

2 Likes

@joshowens Sorry Josh but what you are saying can also backfire. If we invest in smaller libraries to create our own environment and if the contributors leave for new shiny things than either we maintain those libraries or go look for new ones.

Spring in Java is a huge framework which is well maintained and i would choose that before any small library. The main reason is that it is at least maintained.

I suggested small as in focus, I think you are talking small as in mind-share. I say go with the herd for many choices, React and Angular are solid examples of what I mean…

Pick things that seem like well established communities moving forward. Meteor moved slower than Webpack because they had a team of 8+ focused on many aspects of the framework. The webpack team had 2-3 people focused on 1 core piece of the stack.

While tailored integrations are super nice at the start, I am starting to think they limit you in the long term because you end up with a bunch of legacy stuff that you feel you can’t change easily.

1 Like

I think the core issue is that smooth integrations let you get started fast without having to learn a lot, but then you still have to learn all of that stuff if you want to tweak something. So you end up doing about the same amount of learning but you do it later rather than up front.

Absolutely agreed.

I think that is something MDG has been extremely successful delivering. I really like the fact that I can just strip out core modules like jquery or blaze and install some npm stuff at will with the current meteor version.

I mean you can basically just remove all modules but ecmascript and use it as an extremely convenient build system for vue.js/redux/flow/rethinkdb/apollo or whatever crazy stack experiments.

I’ve built up a very small mvp in 3 days using insecure, autopublish and all the crazy magic packages and then seamlessly transitioned to a more advanced architecture and now we start to add graphql support to the same product.

In contrast: Tried to start up a 2 year old project I did with a grunt,bower,npm,express,loopback stack on my pc. After fixing the first 5 various exceptions I gave up. Upgrading? Impossible…

1 Like

reading all @sashko’s posts in this topic (and in other topics as well ) I have the impression mdg should make him the official PR manager for the company. He’s been doing a far better job of speaking with community and explaining the latest developments at mdg than the person they are actually paying for doing that stuff (does that guy even read the forum?? )
I vote for Sashko’'s nomination!

5 Likes

Oh, I just thought @sashko is already their PR head :joy:. I guess @thea takes also control.

3 Likes

We don’t have a head of PR, and try whenever possible to allow people to represent their own work. Sashko is one of the best people to speak about our open source development efforts as he leads that team and has a long history with the Meteor project. I’m you’re go-to for anything community-related. :slight_smile:

5 Likes