Meteor Kitchen - code generator for Meteor

Gotta love meteor kitchen.
This is what I’ve always looking for.

My only suggestion is, instead of being a generator, why not make it reactive?
e.g. the files and structures update everytime we save the JSON file. It’ll be a killer.

1 Like

Hi, I agree. Maybe you can write simple npm module (“hot-kitchen”?) that executes meteor-kitchen with all received command line arguments, but stays running and observing json input file (date/time modified or md5 checksum?). If input file is changed it executes kitchen again with the same argumemts.

Hi @perak I started building an app with Meteor-kitchen using the GUI and building it locally and I am very impressed by the result so far.

While building the app I had this error:

While building the application:
   client/views/home_private/accounts/accounts.html:743: Expected space
   ... {{optionIsSelected .userLanguage "FR"}}>...

Which I fixed with a workaround by removing the extra space after the {{optionIsSelected

<select class="form-control" name="userLanguage" data-type="string">
		<option value="FR" {{optionIsSelected .userLanguage "FR"}}>
			French
		</option>

This error occurred with all the Select forms and I posted a message on Meteor Forum.

Now I need your help because I am blocked when running the app.
I posted a help request on Stackoverflow and Meteor forum because when I start Meteor I am blocked with an error message code 8
Meteor Error Exited with code: 8 - TypeError: Object [object Object] has no method ‘config’

Overall, my feedback is that Meteor-Kitchen runs very smoothly but the adoption is difficult because there are so many fields in the GUI and I had to go back and forth between the code source, examples of code source and API reference page to understand them.

Thanks in advance for your support and feedback.

Bruno

1 Like

Hi Bruno,

I think you don’t need that dot: {{optionIsSelected userLanguage “FR”}}

Hi Perak
The space and the dot are generated by Meteor-Kitchen.
I removed the spaces like below and it seems to work well:

<option value="FR" {{optionIsSelected.userLanguage "FR"}}>

Hi Perak,

I am wondering if what is the direction of meteor-kitchen on router side of things? it seems that iron router is slowly going away and latter part of US summer, MDG is planning to integrate router into the core mentioned in their blog post.

Cheers!

Marvin

Sure, got it on radar

Meteor Meetup in Melbourne, Australia (August 5th) - Meteor Kitchen and human2machine was presented by Michael King. Video (non-official) is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4onSUkj4hKc

P.S. Can’t wait for official videos - want to see other presenters too.

1 Like

Hi Perak,

Great work!! I’m using Meteor Kitchen to build a prototype. What would you do if you have a field that’s an array and the values are selected from another collection? For example, a product has many parts, so the product collection has an array of part id. Could you please give me some pointers? Are there any examples? Your help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi @jchan202

unfortunately there is no magic way (not yet). What you can do is maybe specifying field’s property “input”: “custom” and set path to hand-written input template “input_template”. Path is relative to json and points to html and js file, without extension (for example: “files/my_control” is correct path to “files/my_control.html” and “files/my_control.js”). Generator will insert that code into your form.

Btw, if you make useful control, please share it with me, and I’l add that functionality into generator.

Thanks @perak! I’m a newbie to Meteor, but will give it a try.

Meteor Kitchen (v0.9.49) is now compatible with Meteor 1.2

Enjoy! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Wow, that’s really impressive!

Now you can build and download android .apk from meteor-kitchen GUI - with single click!

(be patient: it takes 3-5 minutes - my server is $5 VPS…)

Enjoy! :smile:

2 Likes

This is impressive :slight_smile: Love working with kitchen its really helping me learn meteor.

Thanks for all the hard work.

1 Like

This project is the best generator available I think. Amazingly rich functionality and confortable web interface.

What I miss is the quick CRUD/Datagrid generation with CLI or with the web interface. But you can’t get everything :slight_smile: Sometimes I’l soo lazy.
Thanks Perak for saving me valuable hours!

Thank you @vargalas!

I agree about CRUD - in most cases it’s simple table with insert/edit/delete without need for customization, so I already got adding “CRUD” component on my radar (actually, we already have all required elements - all I need to do is to automate - CRUD should just create DataView and two Forms).

1 Like

Hi perak,

Where should I place common code and how can I bind in an external file when I use the build-local option? I am getting an error that my file can’t be found - that path is wrong…

btw: greate project - best generator so far!

Hi @loiggebernd thanks :sunny:

Well… GUI doesn’t support that yet (btw, I’m preparing to start brand new GUI project).

When input file is URL, file is downloaded to system temporary directory (filename is random), and then kitchen reads and deletes it.

Best you can do is to create script which downloads your .json file into some local working directory, and then executes meteor-kitchen downloaded_file.json ./output_dir. Now, you can put external files here (in the same directory where is downloaded file, or in sub-directory under it).

That’s it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Did exactly what you wrote a few minutes ago with the Chrome browser extensions “Chrono” and “Downloads Router” + creating a symlink (working on windows) so I can store it to my projects directory.

Works great!

Looking forward to the new GUI!