Meteor or NextJS: What's more viable today?

It is like with all development efforts: what are you planning to do?

We use Meteor, because we need the reactivity in a classroom environment so we can provide a learning process that goes beyond behavioristic models. This is from my research perspective impossible with any other framework.

If we have another use case we may use a different framework but if there is a DB required and accounts, code splitting etc. I will still use Meteor because this is all there without any extra integration.

Regarding scaling: If it does not scale it is usually your app architecture that prevents you from it. If you target 10000+ users you will have to make distinct changes what when and where to subscribe, stop, oberserve etc. and this takes time and effort. Do other “reactive” frameworks eliminate this process? I highly doubt it.

2 Likes

Very timely discussion. I too am looking at the benefits of meteor over nextjs and similar stacks. I have being following the jamstack hype especially around gatsby and Nextjs. If meteor is for fullstack apps with db integration, can this be achieved with nesxtjs? What is the price we have to pay in long run when my nextjs app requires the use of real-time data fetching as appose to pre-fetched.The interesting part for me as a beginner is deploying your app for free over netlify or vercel etc. Some of my thoughts.

The selling point of NextJS is super fast dev time (yes faster than Meteor’s) of React based apps with SSR, SSG, folder based routing with serverless API functions. All of these things are difficult or impossible to do in Meteor.

SSR works well enough in Meteor, but it’s not nearly has easy as it is with Next.

SSG? I don’t think it’s possible with Meteor

Serverless architecture for API functions? Not sure how that would work with Meteor either.

Folder Routes? Not doable in Meteor.

You can maybe argue that you personally don’t need or want any of these things, but it’s obvious that tons of people do. And as someone who’s used both platforms extensively, I can say that they are very useful. IMO those features are certainly not limited to the WordPress market. Just ask some of their clients like Hulu, Nike and the like if they are using it for just blogs.

3 Likes

That’s right, yes I don’t personally need them (folder based routing and SSG, not much value added to my users) since I want full stack framework and I am not creating Nike landing pages (although I think Svelte and even Gatsby would have been better choice for that).

And yes that what tons of people do, that’s why WordPress and the like are popular. My personal preference is (CRA or Gatsby) if I want to use React, and Svelte for highly optimized landing pages, and Meteor for full-stack, real-time, accounts.

But I agree with you, static sites, serverless and faster dev time (because of webpack HMR) are the selling point for NextJS (and Gatsby). It’s good we have many choices for different use cases and NextJS is a good framework, I just wanted to scrutinize and challenge it a bit since it’s very hyped (I actually like it too since I am a big React fan myself, but it’s not for every use case).

I think it should be clear now the difference and pros/cons of each stack.

1 Like

I’ll just say this and leave it there (we’ve had enough back and forths recently) -

You (but not only you) are using the term wrong which isn’t constructive and is frankly inflammatory Here’s a good definition https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty,_and_doubt

People dealing with real information of what they experienced and was undoubtedly real are not engaged in or the victim of any STRATEGY. If you had a well known past history of failing your wife or significant other in regard to fidelity prospective mates wouldn’t be involved in FUD to think you might let them down. You would have earned that reputation, Assuming THEY have the responsibility to “do research on how” or where you might have changed isn’t a winning strategy to improve your love life.

“Honey you got to do your own research on how faithful I am now or you are just engaged in FUD” is going to get the next guy in line closer to a first date.

1 Like

This I agree with. FUD is too often used to describe legitimate issues.

Why compare it? these are incomparable things! NEXT for websites but a Meteor for the coolest web applications!
That’s all!

3 Likes

NextJS is very much for webapplications

It has a backend. API routes are built in. NPM is the only package system it needs (imo that’s a strength).

1 Like

It requires a server for SSR rendering (when it is not used as a static site generator), and lately as of last year, they added the ability to add API routes (added in version 9), because it was highly requested. But it has no opinions about your backend or your data sources (which might be good in many cases), it is very different than Meteor which is much more opinionated about your backend.

For me the difference and the use cases for two frameworks are very distinct and clear.

I think you’re minimizing it’s usefulness a bit. It’s hard to look at https://nextjs.org/showcase and think it’s just for static sites and blogs.

@stolinski they’re mostly landing pages and websites (with minimal interaction), that can be done with Wordpress and Gatsby, I don’t see many (or any) complex apps, and it’s useful/good for that, which is exactly my point.

Even on the NextJS site they say “Meet hundered of beautiful websites” and share your Website not web application.

On the Meteor site:

I emphasize the word Applications here, it is very clear.

Again, I don’t see how the two frameworks are comparable, there is overlap, but they serve different market and use cases and they’re very different tech.

To put it briefly:

• Web/Mobile Apps especially real-time → Meteor

• Public Websites, Blogs, CMS → WordPress, NextJS/Gatsby or even better Svelte static sites + CDN and an API (a.k.a JAMStack) and the API back-end can still be a Meteor server (or serverless, or anything else)

1 Like