Meteor test very long build times

So, I run meteor test --driver-package practicalmeteor:mocha and it takes maybe a minute to a minute and a half to run a test. It there an obvious gotcha here that I’m missing?

Today i tried wallaby js.
It’s expensive but i was immediatly hooked and had to bought it, what a time saver !

Yea, that’s a little pricey, but worth it if it eliminates the headaches that come with Meteor testing. Which platform are you using it on?

I’m using it on webstorm, which i like too.

Can you share any pointers setting up Wallaby with Meteor?

I’m really keen to try it, but I’m not sure how to setup the wallaby config.

I’m using a config file by Arunoda/Mantra, slightly modified :

module.exports = function (wallaby) {
  // There is a weird error with the mui and mantra.
  // See: https://goo.gl/cLH8ib
  // Using require here seems to be the error.
  // Renaming it into `load` just fixed the issue.
  var load = require;

return {
    files: [
      { pattern: 'client/**/tests/*.js', ignore: true },
      { pattern: 'server/**/tests/*.js', ignore: true },
      'client/imports/modules/**/components/*.js',
      'client/imports/modules/**/actions/*.js',
      'client/imports/modules/**/containers/*.js',
      'client/imports/modules/**/libs/*.js',
      'client/imports/**/*.jsx'
    ],
    tests: [
      'client/**/tests/*.js'
    ],
    compilers: {
      '**/*.js*': wallaby.compilers.babel({
        babel: load('babel-core'),
        presets: ['es2015', 'react', 'stage-2']
      })
    },
    env: {
      type: 'node'
    },
    testFramework: 'mocha',
    setup: function() {
      global.React = require('react');
    }
  };
};
1 Like

Awesome!

I had to learn about those babel presets and how to install them. Also, it seems I had to install babel-core.

I’m testing this with the 1.3 version of the Meteor-React Todo app tutorial. I modified your config a bit more, just to load different files

return {
  return {
    files: [
      'imports/**.js'
    ],
    tests: [
      '**/*.tests.js'
    ],

Now that wallaby appears to be running, I’m getting my first error, it’s not finding modules:

Error: Cannot find module 'meteor/meteor'
at imports/api/tasks.tests.js:1:0

That line in imports/api/tasks.tests.js is:

import { Meteor } from 'meteor/meteor';

Not sure how to get wallaby to load that module.

Running wallaby.js now with IntelliJ Idea. Wow, this is unbelievable. Everyone should try this…

@mhurwi I’ve hit the same issue, did you have any luck resolving it?

@tomRedox and @mhurwi, that error is because you cannot just import the Meteor framework that way. But it is possible to stub out Meteor parts, which is a good testing strategy anyway. Don’t test parts that are not your to test.

See more about this in a post I’ve written here yesterday.

In the opening post I explain how to use proxyquire with sinon to stub out the Meteor framework, and in followup comment I explain how to use testdouble to do the very same thing.

2 Likes

@smeijerm thanks for the response, I saw your post, it looks really useful.

I completely agree re mocking (and potentially DI too), but actually in my case the module I couldn’t load was meteor/practicalmeteor:chai that I needed in order to set up the assertions in the unit test! The actual SUT was a vanilla JS class. Looking at your code I see your using Chai straight from npm which is a much better approach.

That does beg a question though, for external modules like Lodash, moment, accounting and the like I probably wouldn’t bother stubbing those out, I’m happy to accept them as well tested black boxes (i.e. they aren’t things I feel the need to test). If I use the npm versions that should be fine, but for Meteor packages it looks like I’d need to stub them which is a nuisance.

The trick is indeed to use npm packages whenever possible.

If you really want to use the meteor lodash package (although I cannot come up with a reason why), you should be able to replace the meteor lodash package by an npm lodash module while running the tests.

Be sure to use npm install --save-dev lodash in that case to prevent a double presence in your production code.

And be sure to npm install the same version as your meteor package. Because you won’t be testing the same functionality otherwise.

2 Likes

Whilst it works with WebStorm I’m wondering if it will work with Meteor as it’s not listed at all: https://wallabyjs.com/docs/intro/get-started-jetbrains.html

Should have googled more. I’ve found this recent addition so it seems with the config it works:

https://gist.github.com/Floriferous/982f64b897fc114422464217abbce713