Meteor Tutorials (The Plan) - We need you

This is good tutorial to have. Thanks for doing this.

1 Like

i like this quote!!! :wink:

1 Like

Wow the tutorials are amazing! I wish I had these when I was just starting, anyway now they will be a great reference. Thank you! Keep it up, please!

1 Like

Instead of a video series that will instantly become stale and only be attributed to one personā€¦ How would you all feel about starting a book on WikiBooks? We can add it to the cannon of wikibooks about JavaScript with rich linking back to JavaScript fundamentals so we donā€™t reinvent the wheel. And when Meteor changes again, so can the wikibook.

Instead of a video series that will instantly become stale and only be attributed to one personā€¦ How would you all feel about starting a book on WikiBooks?

First, thanks for the idea!

Meteor-Tuts is attributed to the community. Itā€™s just a way to help convert people to Meteor. You can submit pull-requests and edit it. Who contributed who wrote what is publicly visible in GitHub!

Regarding rich-linking back to JavaScript, this can be done in the current app + more, because we have control over html and js and very nice things can be done. We donā€™t have to rely on Wikibooks for UX.

Regarding video seriesā€¦ I still donā€™t have a plan for it, by collecting feedback, the answer is clear, more people prefer text and find text/html tutorials faster to learn. This does not apply to everyone ofcourse.

1 Like

Video tutorials have their usefulness to a certain extent however one big problem is they are getting obsolete sooner or later and by the time it takes them to be updated they become even more obsolete. So I think it is a good decision to do this with text.

Still very new, but here is my feedbackā€¦

Well Iā€™ve recently started learning Meteor, and it has been frustrating at times. (But still fun).
Anyhow, Meteor was so easy to get started with. The installation was a breeze. Setting up a new project was easy. And making something ā€˜coolā€™ was as easy as following directions. My problem with the tutorials, was that I didnā€™t understand most of what was going on. The JavaScript used in the tutorials looked nothing like the JavaScript that I was used to (from Codecademy, Lynda etcā€¦)
Therefore, I decided to stop in the middle of a tutorial. Simply because I didnā€™t understand the workings of the cool stuff that I was making. I actually considered jumping on the Python train, but eventually decided to stick with JavaScript because itā€™s so cool, and fast and awesomeā€¦

Anywhoser, I decided to give myself small challenges, like: working with helpers, or posting a string from the server to the frontpage - I thought that was easy, but it was agony, since it took me a while to understand methods, stubs andā€¦ asynchronous functions ā€“ where the **** did they come from? :smiley:
Asynchronous functions is mentioned in the docs, but
And looking into these things was particularly difficult because most of the examples were more complex than what I was aiming to do. Personally I wanted to wait tackling databases and users, and simply learn to do the really easy stuff like implementing functions to the front page etc.
Then I stumbled across two great tutorials from meteortips.com, which from my point of view were much easier to understand, simply because they were in a language that I could understand, and because the pace was slow. This gave me more confidence in creating my own little app, which is pretty much where I am now.

3 Likes

Well, the meteor tutorial is using the standard JavaScript syntax of 2016.

1 Like

Has further progress been made on this tutorial? The ideas for chapters 3 & 4 sound great!

2 Likes

React sux, the app youā€™re working on will never need Facebook level scaling, and putting HTML back into your JS code turns the elegance of Meteor into a WordPress site pile of shit.

Stay as close to core as possible, if you want your apps to survive.

@kchatman7

Has further progress been made on this tutorial? The ideas for chapters 3 & 4 sound great!

Yes. Chapter 2 is work-in-progress. There are many things that need explaining.

We will continue to use React for itā€™s elegance and simplicity, do yourself a favor and dive into it.

1 Like

Hey @diaconutheodor,

Have you got an ETA for the next chapter? I do have some questions regarding best practices when it comes to enterprise level apps.

Thanks,
Chat

@chathuraa

Hello. Iā€™m sorry for the delay. But I managed to finish Chapter 3. I still have some elements to add, but itā€™s 85% done. Thanks and enjoy!

Feedback is very welcome! Letā€™s make it a great resource!

6 Likes

@diaconutheodor

Thanks mate. Thank you so much for your contribution.