Need Meteor.JS Guidance for Making App

Hey @copleykj Sound Good!! By the way I already started to learn Meteor.JS and really It is very interesting I hope I’ll be master within a month!! :laughing:

Hey @fermuch thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Yes @robfallows, Actually I have good knowledge in PHP and after started to learn Meteor.JS, I think I can do perfectly still thanks for your words!!

Hi there! I’m a former mechanical engineer turned software engineer about a year ago and I started from absolute scratch at that moment (no prior HTML, Javascript, CSS knowledge at that time). I know how it feels to learn a framework like Meteor from the ground up.

Two ressources that really helped me a lot by leading me step by step into the process are David Turnbull’s First and Second Meteor Application tutorials. They don’t follow all Meteor’s best practices such as directory structure and all, but to begin, it’s king of freeing!

Also, you’ll have to select a front-end framework to work with between React, Angular and Blaze. The examples above are written with Blaze, which I think is the default Meteor way. However, I’ve come across Manuel Viewmodel for React which is an abstraction layer on top of React that simplifies the code a lot, while compiling down to regular React components. I recommend having a look at it, it makes programming actually very fun! And @manuel has been really helpful so far!

Another library that I use a lot is @jagi Astronomy that allows for building schemas and methods on Mongo Collections. Really powerful and useful stuff!

However, starting with the tutorials I mentionned first is a good idea as you’ll grasp the basics before scaffholding more stuff on top of your knowledge base… I hope it helps! :wink:

1 Like

I would definitely recommend Udemy and one of the courses on this platform https://www.udemy.com/meteor-react/. You can follow the Meteor parts of the video. Anyway, I believe Meteor and React are forming a very powerful pair.
You can, then, rely on Meteor official documentation and Github code examples (and React’s, if you like).

@davidsavoie1 thanks for mentioning Astronomy.

@anitashah if you’re experienced in PHP and if you used such frameworks like Symfony and its Doctrine ORM then using Astronomy will definitely feel familiar as I’ve been inspired by it.