New Meteor Book?

I use svelte + meteor/ddp for the transport layer.

The thing is, the transport layer doesn’t matter. If you’re deploying to a serverless environment, you’d use serverless functions and a rest API.

If you have some monolith, you might use REST, you could use apollo, you could use some other pre-made solution. It doesn’t matter. The client doesn’t care. As long as it has the right data.

I think ddp is a fantastic solution to the transport layer. Just super easy, zero mess. Graphql is super verbose. There’s a lot of duplication involved, between defining your database schema, your graphql schema, your object mappings. It comes with a lot of overhead. If you’re developing an enterprise application on a relational database, it makes a lot of sense.

If you’re building a hobby app, meteor’s ddp transport layer is like a miracle in comparison.

5 Likes

Why a book?

these days people just Google for specific answers when they get stuck. Books don’t just compete with other books, they compete with alternatives to books, like docs, slack channels, forums, stackoverflow, youtube, and online courses. Maybe no one has written a book because the market is already being well-served by other resources. Long ago I bought that Meteor ebook published by @sacha, but never actually read it!

3 Likes

Meteor Guide is awesome and beginner friendly. Things started to get complicated onces you start solving real-life problem (rating system, friend list, search).

People have already shared patterns, tricks either in form of Articles or on this forum. These gems are kind of opinionated and problem specific. If we start putting it all together as a community we might start coming-up with standards.

Putting together 10 chapters is time consuming as a single author or team of two. But write down a single recipe is less difficult. Also it would be easier to revise a recipe than an entire a book.

So what I’m proposing here is a community driven cookbook, where people (author) can just submit a recipe.

If we able to figure out a way to provide a financial incentive for authors and reviewers that would be awesome.

For authors, we can have some sort of payout structure for authors, like DigitalOcens’s Write for donations program. link

For funds, we can use kickstarter, open-collective, buymeacoffee.

2 Likes

You seem to be describing meteorpedia - which I think could do with some love.

2 Likes

I feel like the meteor guide is basically a book. The docs are good these days as well. And the forum has grown to encompass a lot of discussion on how to build certain functionality/types of apps.

1 Like

The book How to build a SaaS with Meteor would be great especially if you use Blaze and willing to contribute your boilerplate to readers without domain-specific code. There is cool Ryan Glover’s Clever Beagle but it is still in development and is React-based from the beginning.

As you have gone through it from the beginning to release, scaling, maintenance, integrating user requests as well as fulfilling it would be easy to build on your experience.

Meteor is alive but it lacks integrity and ready SaaS-oriented solutions, which e.g. Laravel has out of the box.

I would gladly pay for something like https://devdojo.com/wave#download-section

I would gladly pay for Enterprise version of Meteor

But Meteor community are too shy to charge anything with few exceptions like Max Savin

1 Like

Yes, something like that. Thanks for sharing that - I didn’t know about it.

1 Like

This is what Vulcan is trying to achieve.

Vulcan does not have strong community. Meteor is a much better choice for that.

1 Like

Vulcan is based on Meteor

2 Likes

Hmmm… interesting… it is a pity now there are 2 forks now: Blaze and Meteor… would love to see Blaze version of Vulcan

1 Like

updated Blaze and Meteor

While Meteor Book was great at the time, Meteor Tuts from @diaconutheodor and Cult Of Coders team is the de facto ressource to learn how to build a scalable and reliable production grade Meteor app from scratch, and I’m not sure a new book would be required right now, I mean in term of relevant ressource investment towards the community, at least not before a Meteor 2(or whatever Tiny ends up doing) is released.

5 Likes

We’ve been around for a long time, built a huge enterprise application with Meteor and learned a lot from @sacha and Discover Meteor when we set to do that. But as we grew, it was Meteor Tuts that has become our go to learning resource.

I’d prefer an online resource which is continuously updated, although granted, it does not provide additional income to the author.

4 Likes

Maybe we could try to see with @diaconutheodor if a participative / shared contribution to Meteor Tuts could ba a thing. As @illustreets stated it, we’d rather have one well maintained, updated and controlled / verified source to complete over time than several less maintained ones.

4 Likes

I have checked Vulcan again but it is on Meteor 1.4.4.1, is it abandoned now?

You need to ask Sacha the owner. He is quite active on the forum.

Are you sure? The starter repo uses 1.8.1:

A book is very necessary to beginner, because the official tutorial is good to know Meteor (i hope it just put all files into only 2-3 folders like client, server, lib), but we need to make real apps , so authentication (useraccounts, enrollment email/email verification ), user dashboard, Router, Pagination deployment (MUP) are very basic needs, these are not in the tutorial. and the documents are not very clear and lack of examples, most topics on stackoverflow are answered 3-5 years ago.

same as you, many people like the out-of-the-box features/packages of Meteor, why not make a book about such a real app’s boilerplate? i spent a few months from the tutorial to my first real app - still try to find a good example code of server pagination.

books better than official tutorial and guide

1. Meteor Tutorial -Bring your ideas to life with Meteor
  2. Discover Meteor
  3. LevelUp
  4. David Weldon - meteor_ common mistakes
  5. The Meteor Chef: Reactive Dict, Reactive Vars, and Session Variables

Anyway, thank you for your book in advance, also let’s see what Tiny do, they buy the brand but don’t buy the people, weird…

Robin

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your opinion

1 Like