Next steps on Blaze and the view layer

It’s the downside of success and popularity. You can make some of the people happy all the time, all of the people happy some of the time; but you can’t make all the people happy all the time.

Fantastic news. I’m making a push to finish up the Checklist Manifesto (the FDA/HIPAA version of the Todos sample app). When that’s done, we’ll have validation test coverage across the app, and will be looking at refactoring to 1.2 and Blaze-React.

4 Likes

Has everyone seen this?

https://forums.meteor.com/t/angular-react-and-blaze?source_topic_id=13561

Seems definitive to me.

Where’s proof that that will happen? I don’t see why it will.

Since Blaze seems to be back from the grave, nobody knows.

Until next 180° turnaround.

1 Like

I’m in multiple communities and my comment was based on the fact that the Meteor forums are by far the most negative of the lot.

2 Likes

I too feel like there’s some excessive negativity here based on rumors that have apparently manifested out of thin air. Or have I missed some official announcements?

Really ? When ? Will you be using Vanilla React or tim’s package ?

Well, I just finished the first refactor of clinical-checklists into checklist-manifesto, so the second demo app is going online. We have another ~10 packages to extract from it (fonts, mobile, offline, static pages, etc). Given the current pace, we’ll have the three clinical reference apps done by mid Feb, and then need to document and publish. So, probably won’t start until March. Will most likely be using Tim’s BlazeReact package.

1 Like

@awatson1978,

Thanks for the forum message. Could you tell us when you implemented BlazeReact how well it fits with the standard Meteor packages? Curious about how it integrates with the Meteor stack given the deep Blaze integration (e.g. Tracker)

1 Like

But a roadmap is the absolute minimum to be expected from any serious engagement… can you point us to it?

Galaxy seems an enabler for Meteor. But, now that Meteor is without clear direction and roadmap, Galaxy could be DOA unless we quickly see Meteor being coherent again… We will have to wait …

1 Like

blaze is not back from the grave, they will just postpone a bit his death

I have built my first Meteor app with AngularJS nearly 2 years ago. Because we transitioned from Express to Meteor for the backend.

Also there is already the Meteor React guide that tells you everything about how to use React in a Meteor app.

For migrating Blaze to React there is now the Blaze section in the Meteor Guide that shows you how to write Blaze components that are easy to translate to React components. Other from that you just need to understand how React handles the view concerns like rendering, event handling and getting data and you then should be able to migrate Blaze components to React. Also you can use Blaze and React side by side.

the devil is in the detail. You can’t say that migrating from blaze to react is easy, or even possible at all.

Yeah, because writing good software in general is not easy. And it’s not even necessary to migrate all your Blaze templates to React. My point was that before you even think about migrating Blaze templates to React components, you should consider refactoring your Blaze templates to do what the Meteor Guide suggests and then you can start to migrate Blaze templates, starting from the bottom of the view hierarchy.

2 Likes

I definately agree with this.

I might consider abandoning meteor as a whole if I had to go through this.

One of the very strong pro’s of Blaze is that you could develop with more flexibility.

If Blaze 2 was built on top of React and still provide separability from view and logic so that I could use jade and coffeescript, I have no reason to disagree to this .

What made me start meteor was the flexibility of developing choices I could make for different projects. I could use Blaze, React, Mithirl, or whatever I wanted to fit the project I am working on the best.

Personally, depending on the style and design of app or website, React style developing and Blaze style developing both have pros and cons. But as of Meteor’s current state, it’s possible to develop in both styles.

I just hope that whatever decision MDG makes, the above remains unchanged.

1 Like

I no longer believe this ^

2 Likes

There’s nothing to complain about. Meteor is backwards compatible, so whatever you thought was coherent before, must still be coherent because it is all still there. You don’t have to start using React if you don’t want to, you can use the Blaze that you loved from before, it hasn’t gone anywhere. All Meteor has done is give developers some more (good) options.

Plus anyways, all the new stuff is coherent also, and I’m loving it. We have the ability to choose.

4 Likes

“Coherent” is not the same as existing;) That said, my comment was not about today. It seems there is good progress the last two month with the Meteor Guide and all. But it’s not there yet , today you still see people like this: Overwhelmed with the choices for Meteor 1.3 + React. Can someone point me in the right direction?