Predictions on Twitter for Meteor

i still don’t understand why people bash on react’s virtual dom. It’s an implementation detail. The API couldn’t care less about it.

More important is React’s reconciliation algorithm (which on the other hand uses the virtual dom). It allows you to have more “dumb”, but natural data structures like plain arrays or objects. In blaze, you need to use collections for lists, otherwise you get bad performance if you do stuff like sorting / adding / removing elements.

1 Like

I think it’s already in the Plateau of Productivity.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. But I don’t know any Meteor developers and the engineers that I do know are not entrepreneurial. So I am incertain where to find a suitable partner. Anyone that you might suggest?

You can try posting on weworkmeteor.com if you havent already.

Well, it’s a real challenge to pick a co-founder, the are many factors that goes into that selection. I can’t suggest one, it has to come from your network, but the book The founder’s Dilemma might help a bit in clarifying the process.

Sorry, we’re getting off-topic here.

Hi @diaconutheodor,

Do you still use mobx / @observer to re-render? Have you updated or changed since you made this comment?

After reading the MobX documentation, it seems the more recent versions have moved away from using @observer.

Have you implemented this in Meteor/React with React Hooks without @observer?

I think it will solve a problem I am currently having where I want to re-render a component when my Session variable changes.

that tweet did not age well

2 Likes

Hehe hard to disagree @macrozone :sweat_smile: Not all was wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

• Does occur now: meteorjs enters Slope of Enlightenment
  • False: webcomponents adopted by most major FE tools
  • True: passionpeopleNL continues to grow
  • Partially true in some countries: VueJS approaches React in usage
  • False: reactjs enters Slope of Disillusion
  • False: Rise of non-virtual dom tools like @imbajs
2 Likes
  • False : Rise of non-virtual dom tools like @imbajs

Svelte is rising hugely in popularity now and Imba is fast moving towards v2 (though not at same exposure level yet)

1 Like

The “best” software architecture, particularly related to front end JS, is constantly changing as ppl explore different ideas. Virtual dom was a huge innovation and absolutely did improve on performance in comparison to the other available options at the time. Now other ideas are being explored and that’s great.

Using a new solution that improves on the existing solution really isn’t anything close to “large scale insanity”, it’s just being pragmatic. So is trying new solutions when they come along if they offer something better for your needs.

Btw the original linked tweet is showing as unavailable for me @cloudspider :frowning:

2 Likes

Yea I got to agree with you, though I don’t see it really being close to what Vue and React have in terms of popularity. I do wish to see it grow much more, because I really like Svelte’s approach

@efrancis I left Twitter. Too much SJW. My focus is on being valuable as developer, not as political activist. So when people force me to say things on that level, I’m out. :slight_smile:It’s either my opinion on the right platform at the right time or nothing in that regard :slight_smile:

4 Likes