Public release candidate of Meteor 1.2

Is this a new error? As in did the previous RCs not have it?

Same slow pickup in changed files and rebuild times in rc16 as well.

I didnā€™t try the previous version. The last one I tried was RC13 and it didnā€™t compile my bower packages. Now bower packages are fine but have an error with ReferenceError: Meteor is not defined which is located in lib/router.js file.
Hereā€™s a snippet:

if (Meteor.isClient) {
      // SubsManager package for subscriptions caching
      var subsManager = new SubsManager({
        // maximum number of cache subscriptions
        cacheLimit: 20,
        // any subscription will be expire after 5 minute, if it's not subscribed again
        expireIn: 2
      });

Router.map(function() {
        this.route('welcome', {
          path: '/'
        });
      });
    }

There is probably some important piece of information missing from this reproduction, otherwise nobodyā€™s apps would run at all. Is there something else in the error output, interesting packages you might be using, etc?

Hereā€™s the full error:

W20150917-17:08:20.437(-4)? (STDERR) /Users/verron/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/.1.1.7-rc.15.1t0yv8k++os.osx.x86_64+web.browser+web.cordova/mt-os.osx.x86_64/dev_bundle/server-lib/node_modules/fibers/future.js:245
W20150917-17:08:20.437(-4)? (STDERR) 						throw(ex);
W20150917-17:08:20.437(-4)? (STDERR) 						      ^
W20150917-17:08:20.442(-4)? (STDERR) ReferenceError: Meteor is not defined
W20150917-17:08:20.442(-4)? (STDERR)     at lib/router.js:11:1
W20150917-17:08:20.442(-4)? (STDERR)     at lib/router.js:150:1
W20150917-17:08:20.442(-4)? (STDERR)     at /Users/verron/workspace/devel/.meteor/local/build/programs/server/boot.js:242:10
W20150917-17:08:20.442(-4)? (STDERR)     at Array.forEach (native)
W20150917-17:08:20.442(-4)? (STDERR)     at Function._.each._.forEach (/Users/verron/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/.1.1.7-rc.15.1t0yv8k++os.osx.x86_64+web.browser+web.cordova/mt-os.osx.x86_64/dev_bundle/server-lib/node_modules/underscore/underscore.js:79:11)
W20150917-17:08:20.443(-4)? (STDERR)     at /Users/verron/workspace/devel/.meteor/local/build/programs/server/boot.js:137:5
=> Exited with code: 8

And here are the packages Iā€™m using:

# Meteor packages used by this project, one per line.
# Check this file (and the other files in this directory) into your repository.
#
# 'meteor add' and 'meteor remove' will edit this file for you,
# but you can also edit it by hand.

accounts-password
useraccounts:semantic-ui
iron:router
mystor:device-detection
stevezhu:lodash
matb33:collection-hooks
aldeed:simple-schema
aldeed:collection2
service-configuration
mquandalle:bower
alanning:roles
msavin:jetsetter
msavin:mongol
raix:handlebar-helpers
fourseven:scss
aldeed:template-extension
hybrid:assets
meteorhacks:fast-render
momentjs:moment
kadira:debug
meteorhacks:kadira
reywood:publish-composite
meteorhacks:subs-manager
semantic:ui
flemay:less-autoprefixer
mvrx:bluebird
mdg:reload-on-resume
percolate:paginated-subscription
useraccounts:iron-routing
mixmax:smart-disconnect
natestrauser:connection-banner
tmeasday:publish-counts
jparker:crypto-md5
verron:autosize
richsilv:owl-carousel
cfs:standard-packages
cfs:gridfs
cfs:graphicsmagick
splendido:accounts-meld
mizzao:user-status
fastclick
cwaring:modernizr
infinitedg:gsap
mcbrumagin:jquery-requestanimationframe
reactive-var
cfs:ui
practicalmeteor:wkwebview
particle4dev:cordova-fb
prasad19sara:client-debugger

We are using Flat-UI Pro in our apps. When adding the ecmascript package Meteor hangs and hits 100% cpu usage while starting. The problem is the provided flat-ui-pro.js file which is about 1MB in file size. Removing it resolves the hanging but results in no FUI JS functionality. Meaning we canā€™t play with ES2015 just yetā€¦

Interesting, I wonder how you ended up with a list of packages that doesnā€™t include meteor-platform or meteor-base or meteor. Those are the packages that export the meteor symbol.

Try adding meteor-base and things should be fine.

Can you file an issue on GitHub with a simple reproduction? If itā€™s just that file inside a basic app that causes the issue, that would be good to know.

Done! Seems it happens with Flat-UI (non-pro) too, which js is half in size (~500KB). Makes me think it might be a problem with the library itself rather than the actual file size.

Issue posted: https://github.com/meteor/meteor/issues/5198
Reproduction repo: https://github.com/jaimie-van-santen/ecmascript-hangs-issue

1 Like

@sashko: Just tried an update from RC15 to RC16:

Update to release METEOR@1.2-rc.16 is impossible:
While selecting package versions:
error: Conflict: Constraint es5-shim@0.1.0-rc.0 is not satisfied by es5-shim 4.1.13-rc.1.
Constraints on package "es5-shim":
* es5-shim@=4.1.13-rc.1 <- top level
* es5-shim@0.1.0-rc.0 <- meteor 1.1.7-rc.2 <- autoupdate 1.2.3-rc.1 <- hot-code-push 1.0.0-rc.0 <- meteor-base 1.0.1-rc.0
* es5-shim@0.1.0-rc.0 <- meteor 1.1.7-rc.2 <- babel-compiler 5.8.22-rc.1 <- ecmascript 0.1.3-rc.3
* es5-shim@0.1.0-rc.0 <- meteor 1.1.7-rc.2 <- blaze-html-templates 1.0.1-rc.0

Edit: Itā€™s due to simple:pg / simple:bookshelf

The Meteor 1.2 upgrade guide mentions cross-package imports. How would one go about using the feature? For example, when using Bootstrap, how do you reference bootstrap.less? I tried /bootstrap/less/bootstrap.less and variations like /twrp/bootstrap or twrp_bootstrap. But none seems to work.

So, when is the estimated release date? Sorry if itā€™s somewhere in plain view and I missed it.

I got a weird issue with cordova android.
The issue is here

Meteor and React are not defined. All packages (including Meteor and React) are bundled with the apk. The web version is fine though.
Do any of you have any input on this?

Edit:
Issue resolved. meteorhacks:kadira package was causing the issue. I guess Arunoda will make this 1.2 compatible when itā€™s released. Everything is working fine so far now.

I think the notes said:

@import '{package-name}/path/to/less'

so using your example,

@import '{twrp:bootstrap}/less/bootstrap.less'

Iā€™ve only tried this with local packages. So Iā€™m not sure if/how it works with packages included via meteor add xyz

From the Meteor 1.2 upgrade guide:

"The less and stylus packages now support cross-package imports! If you specify a file like @import ā€œ{package}/file.lessā€ (with the curly braces), it will load the file from that package. Use @import ā€œ{}/file.lessā€ to load a file from your app. "

ā€œThe ES2015 module syntax (import/export) is not supported yet in Meteor 1.2.ā€

Looks like 1.2 just went live. Awesome!

3 Likes

Yes it did!!! Shhhā€¦ announcement blog post tomorrow. We decided itā€™s too late in the day to post about it today. But Meteor should notify you to update anyway.

Weā€™re also still working on finalizing some of the docs for ES2015 etc. but figured it was best to ship this ASAP so people can start using all of the new stuff!

Thank you everyone for your feedback, testing, contributions, and support!

9 Likes

It is 10:30am here in Sydney :wink:

1 Like

Well I actually broke the installer just now, so itā€™s a good thing we didnā€™t post yet! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

OK installer should work now.