React worrying devs

Sorry, I did edit my post at the bottom so say it’s not as easy to integrate as Blaze but it’s still not difficult.

As for why Vue over Blaze or vice versa? I can’t really comment on performance or anything like that as I’ve not used Blaze in quite some time, but it’s more that Vue has that large community of contributors that would always sway me. Blaze is a great integration to Meteor, but since Vue is widely adopted now I would imagine it has a better long-term future and better potential.

At the end of the day I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Blaze. I enjoyed using it when I first got into Meteor. Depending on your app it’s probably just preference.

Quit staring at your belly button and get back to work!

4 Likes

Strongly disagree with most of what you said as outlined in my blog post.

Your patent like-button example for a DVR developed with React - What happens if Facebook decides to build their own DVR with a like-button, infringing on your patent and you decide to sue them? The React patent gives Facebook the explicit right to use your intellectual property without you suing them. Please correct me if am wrong. I am just a worried entrepreneur.

Oh yea?? https://code.facebook.com/posts/300798627056246download

5 Likes

Hopefully the end of all the ‘don’t use React because FB will own you’ posts.

w.r.t Vue, I don’t want to learn another DSL with ugly syntax vs using pure JS everywhere - there’s no comparison. Its not simpler, its not easier, and its bad conceptually - Vue enforces separation of technology due to the the same old myths about ‘don’t combine HTML and JS’.

I hope FB follows up with MIT license for GraphQL, Native etc.

2 Likes

It doesn’t give them that right in the least. If I sue them, I lose their patent grant for their OSS. Assuming they have patents protecting React (they don’t), that means… I shouldn’t sue them until I’ve purged their OSS from my company.

As mentioned in my article, it takes millions of dollars to litigate patent infringement. Purging Facebook OSS from almost any company’s codebase in the face of those numbers makes the removal trivial.

1 Like

Sadly, it’s just the opposite if they don’t give a patent grant (assuming they have patents).

If I use MIT licensed code, can I be sued for patent infringement?

Yes without a patent grant. This is the problem of patenting things that are later open sourced.

Well that means the legal drama continues. If FB’s objective was to stop the FUD about React and stop companies from abandoning it, this won’t work then?

No. Then it kicks it into the same problem as GraphQL. Everyone is an infringer from second one.

I assume that they’ll give a patent grant with it. If they do, then this issue is truly over.

1 Like

Ugly syntax? But React uses JSX which looks like JS and HTML had some weird gargoyle of a child :smiley:

In all seriousness though it’s all personal preference. One person’s rubbish is another person’s treasure and all that.

Thats true. Sorry I mean ugly as in needing to learn a new language for templates. At the end of the day its great to have choices.

I guess everything is sorted out now.

So it got relicensed!

That’s the right move, and a lesson to cooperate lawyer not to exploit the OSS community and technology for their own legal gains. I’m glad the community and big OSS organization were vocal about this, and happy that FB did the right move eventually, the patent trolls issue should be fought in another way.

And for those who jumped the ship quickly and started refactoring to vue, you can start refactoring again to react 1.6 until something more shiny comes next week… just joking stick to what you know and works for you, and don’t react quickly to hype :slight_smile:

6 Likes