Riot.js with Meteor

Well using React was pretty easy with Meteor 1.3, so now I’m about to find out about Riotjs on the front-end lib part. Its nice to mix parts easily! Thanks again! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like I can use my favorite jade+coffee cocktail!

1 Like

I’m so used to Blaze + Viewmodel now… Are there any advantages of using Riot versus that set? (if you happen to have experience with Viewmodel, that is)

1 Like

Unfortunately I didn’t see anything like Viewmodel for Riot. I guess that viewmodel is some kind of simplicity, but IMHO it’s time to separate V and M. I am happy with Reflux for now

Upon looking at Riot once again it looks REALLY slick!
Will try to use it instead of Blaze in my next app and see how it goes :smiley_cat:

You should also give Vue a try (± same syntax as Riot): http://vuejs.org/guide/comparison.html#Riot

Ahhh… I don’t know already… which one is ‘better’? Which one has better syntax?
We need a really experienced guy here, who worked with Vue and with Riot and with Blaze - does such person even exist???

This is a common misconception about view models. Here the word “model” doesn’t represent the capital M in MVC. It means it’s the “model of the view” or the object representation of the view. In a sense ViewModel is not even the V, it’s the code that drives the view.

In Riot terms a view model is the this object you use between the script tags.

1 Like

I moved from Blaze to Vue. I now use webpack:webpack to use Vue single file components and webpack’s hot reload and Vue power are pure happiness.

In a way ViewModel is a (great) “syntaxic sugar” layer above the view layer.

1 Like

I am currently very happy with Manuel’s awesome Viewmodel. It relieves me from so very many Blaze-specific pains! I didn’t have the time to dive into Vue’s documentation - does it provide similar functionality as Blaze+Viewmodel?

And also: does Single File Components allow for Coffee+Jade+(Stylus+Autoprefixer)?

I’m not a ViewModel expert but yes the way you bind variables and functions for events inside tags is similar.
I’m using CoffeeScript + Jade + (Less and autoprefixer) inside my Vue single file components, and Stylus works too.

Don’t change a winning team :wink:

2 Likes

Example, please-please-please. :slight_smile:

You can have a look at this:
https://iamlawrence.me/more-vue-and-meteor
or this:

3 Likes

Sorry I know this is old but how did this go? Is it still an option? I have tried React but I hate it with the heat of a thousand suns. I need scoped components. As far as I can remember - in early versions of Meteor you could have the html and js all in the same file. Do you use a particular package?

Just saw it and I like it based on the information on the website… sadly no time to try it. Did anyone try?
React is an evil monster compared to anything else. :slight_smile:

well, I’ve worked really hard with blaze and Viewmodel since my last post and had the chance to dive into vue.js docs. essentially it doesn’t offer anything that blaze +VM can’t offer in terms of rendering.
so I’m sticking with that familiar combo for the time being. Until I have a compelling reason to switch to something else

1 Like

essentially it doesn’t offer anything that blaze +VM can’t offer in terms of rendering.
so I’m sticking with that familiar combo for the time being. Until I have a compelling reason to switch to something else

Same here for my current project - I see no benefit whatsoever changing Blaze + ViewModel for anything else as long as I’m using Meteor. The speed and simplicity of developing UI’s with these two is just great. Then again, I’m about to start a new project where I’m afraid I can’t use Meteor, so…

1 Like

don’t forget the time needed to learn new tools and write scaffolding for them .
I will be starting new project soon as well but will stick to my current stack because I am able to work quickly and efficiently with it and reuse modules from my other projects