Running a own Kadira instance Update: now with a guide!

I am very interested in this, the move by MDG is really incomprehensible. I just fail to understand why they did not put a couple man-hours into making this even remotely more easy for the community. Do they not understand that some of their users can simply not, under almost any condition, use galaxy…?

@lampe I’d be very thankful if you could help! :slight_smile:

Hey,

I am the project owner of https://github.com/kadira-io, I am knowledgeable of how the APM runs and works, kadira.io is a place for the community to try get involved in stripping out areas of the apm that are no longer relevant, re-branding, documentation and UI refresh setup docker

If you are interested in then drop me a message.

Regards

6 Likes

yes please! :slight_smile:

(My guess would be that the ‘stress’ on the DB would be not that big if people deploy it for their own sites only…?)

MDG did presumably pay Arunoda for it, and then open sourced it immediately, that’s not bad. Just wait a week or two. There’s already a working docker image, now it’s just a matter of cleaning things up.

1 Like

A working docker image? can you point me to that image ?

Ah it’s not public yet I guess, but Robfallows mentioned it here:

A short updated:

I had some time to patch stuff in kadira-server and I want to release the repo this weekend.

Also I’m planning to release blog posts about how to setup kadira on a ubuntu 16.04 server.

12 Likes

Part 1 is up on Medium:

Part 2 coming ASAP

19 Likes

I just released part 2 !

in part 3 i will only give some tups and tricks :wink:

11 Likes

Awesome stuff, thanks for the post!

Wow thanks a lot. Awesome that you wrote this all down!

Awesome, thanks! :smiley:

Hmm, in Part one you say “Clone the repo from”

git clone git@github.com:lampe/kadira-server.git

Then in part two you say “Clone Kadira Server from GitLab”

git clone git@quantilope.githost.io:kadira/server.git

But that one asks me to provide git@quantilope.githost.io’s password :confused:

Also, what is this about Amazon Web Services? :confused:

Sry it was pointing to our internal repo i changed it.
But you don’t need it to clone the second time.

the cpu profiler feature needs s3 bucket where it saves the json.

Thanks for the tutorial! I’ve almost got it working. Ran into some issues with CORS so needed to make a couple of nginx config changes. I’m now at the point that I’m not getting any errors on either the server or the client, but nothing seems to show up in the kadira dashboard. Anyone else run into this? I have no idea what the problem is. Looking at wireshark everything seems to be communicating fine.

@workman
So is kadira-rma running ?
Is your app connected to the kadira-engine ? not kadira-ui.
The kadira package will say that it is connected even if your connecting to kadira ui.

Ok I think I’m closer to being on the right track. I didn’t realize I needed to use the engine’s endpoint. Problem I’m facing now I’m getting authentication failed - check your appId & appSecret since I switched it to the engine’s endpoint…Authentication was working fine before I made that change.

EDIT: Nevermind, got it! Node was rejecting my self signed certificate.

Has anyone successfully got alerts working? I’ve created a librato account and setup the API keys and added a “greater than 1% CPU usage” alert for testing purposes but I never seem to get an email.

this is really great, thanks for the effort :thumbsup: putting all those steps into a Dockerfile so that a simple docker-compose up could run Kadira would be phenomenal

2 Likes

How about some donations via some service to the person(s) creating that docker file?! :slight_smile: Just as a little motivation, as I can imagine this could be a lot of work! :wink:
Thing is I don’t have the time right now to worry about the whole APM situation and I guess I am not alone with that. … so @lampe, @workman, @herteby please let us know if we can somehow help/motivate you guys and maybe put some donation link here! I would gladly donate some $$$ for your effort! Thanks a bunch guys!

1 Like

@klabauter Haha sorry I haven’t done anything :sweat_smile: But I could see if I could convince my boss to contribute to a tip jar if someone set it up.

@robfallows said that he and the good people at Centiq were working on a Docker image. How’s it going Rob? :slight_smile: