📡 TRANSMISSION #18: Help pick topics

It’s time to plan TRANSMISSION show #18!

I will be talking with MDG team members about whatever the most interesting topics have been for the last month or so, and I’d like to get your help with that.

Reply here and let us know which recent topics are the most important to you!

Update

On Episode #17 we talked about a new addition to the Meteor team, code splitting, and GraphQL subscriptions.

About TRANSMISSION

TRANSMISSION is a monthly show covering the most important topics to come out of the Meteor Forums. Each month we need your help to pick the most relevant forum posts for us to discuss with MDG.

Podcast Site: https://transmission.simplecast.fm/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTUf4ytkmI8Q7cbf4J6aQEYun5g8fxt9B

I think one obvious topics would be Meteor 1.5 and more info about the code splitting stuff.

Another thing I would find interesting is hearing more about the Meteor team’s longer-term vision and hope for Meteor. Where do you see Meteor 5 years from now? What areas of the overall web development ecosystem do you guys feel are lacking the most right now? If you had all the resources in the world, what would you do with them?

8 Likes

I’d gladly hear about a Meteor-specific integration for Apollo which would make using Apollo with Meteor an advantage over Apollo + Whatever. We know what advantage gives us Meteor + Mongo, but will Apollo get the same level of Meteor integration or only the same amount of love as other backends?

4 Likes

I would be interested to hear about the below:

• If/when source maps in production will be a supported build option in Meteor? See this feature request from May 14, 2015
  • Galaxy rolled out infrastructure changes today (28th Feb) that are meant to support some exciting new features. Can we hear about these features and what’s on the road map for Galaxy in the future?
  • With code splitting coming in 1.5 (which is a massive achievement!!!), can we expect to see service worker support added to the road map for Meteor sometime in the future? Service Worker support has shipped in Firefox, Chrome, and Opera. Support for Microsoft Edge & Windows 10 is currently in development. Apple (Webkit/Safari) is the only hold-out.
  • Do you see Meteor in the future transitioning into a platform that provides the ability to create Progressive Web Apps? Here’s a checklist of what qualifies an app to be a PWA
8 Likes

Some forum threads I’d like to see discussed:

1 Like

Meteor + Apollo integration.

Thanks everyone! Good suggestions here, I will definitely ask about Meteor 1.5 and code splitting, and do my best to get through other items on this list too!

Regarding Meteor + Apollo integration, there was some discussion of that here. Also, here’s a blog article that might be useful.

1 Like
  • Migrating Atmosphere packages to NPM
  • Referencing Meteor Core Packages from NPM Packages
  • TypeScript
  • TypeScript in Core
  • TypeScript in Tutorials

With the faster bundler and code splitting would be nice to hear what’s next on the roadmap for meteor. Maybe optimizations for scaling to lots of concurrent connections would be nice, given the general community’s negative perceptions on meteor scalability. Would be nice to hear about that and sashko’s take on using meteor vs firebase vs websockets vs graphql subscriptions for realtime on things like ease of use, latency, scaling, cost, maintenance…

Thanks for taking the time to make this podcast!

Meteor users using Kadira for production apps always reviewed it as very helpful. I would like to know if the the most helpful components of Kadira is already available on Galaxy’s dashboard?

1 Like

Currently? Unfortunately not.

Actually, you’re right, my fault. I focused too much on Vue + Meteor part of that podcast so I missed other stuff. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the help everyone! Here it is on YouTube.

The audio-only podcast version is available here and it should be available in your favourite podcast app and on iTunes very soon.

3 Likes

https://www.codetours.xyz/tour/xavcz/meteor-apollo-codetour

Meteor-now:

The episode is up now!

Save your suggestions for the next one :]

1 Like