📡 TRANSMISSION #20: Help pick topics

It’s time to plan TRANSMISSION show #20!

I will be talking with MDG team members about whatever the most interesting topics have been for the last month or so, and I’d like to get your help with that.

Reply here and let us know which recent topics are the most important to you!

About TRANSMISSION

TRANSMISSION is a monthly show covering the most important topics to come out of the Meteor Forums. Each month we need your help to pick the most relevant forum posts for us to discuss with MDG.

Podcast Site: https://transmission.simplecast.fm/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTUf4ytkmI8Q7cbf4J6aQEYun5g8fxt9B

4 Likes

Hello,

Great to see the number 20 coming !

Maybe if we can have an update on the transition to npm.

Also regarding New react-devtools: Check if your production build is really in production mode, if Sashko can talk about why it is marked as not production.

Worth to mention for galaxy user, http://galaxy-guide.meteor.com/, most are kadira based but maybe something specific to galaxy to day ?

2 Likes

Maybe latest updates/enhancements to Apollo?

I’d like to know when we might see Meteor 1.5 - what’s holding it back?

Also, looking a little further ahead, there were plans for tighter Apollo integration, which were held off for build improvements. Is this likely to be picked up again?

6 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions… keep 'em coming. :smile:

I would like to hear what MDG has to say in defence of the scandal that there is still no official Meteor swag to buy!

7 Likes

As of a few minutes ago …

Almost there! :tada:

8 Likes

that is exciting! :raised_hands:

I should have asked sooner! :wink:

6 Likes

@sabativi I’m not sure what you mean, can you explain?

Love to hear if there is any progress or update on Source Maps for production.

4 Likes

The question was : is there anything that meteor added in APM that is worth talking about.

1 Like

I would like to see your take on some works that have evolved a lot since you reviewed them :smiley:

Redis-oplog is production ready, it has dramatic speed improvement, especially for remote databases, can work with galaxy very well, by buying an ec2 instance near your servers and run redis on it.

Grapher has evolved and matured into something robust, faster than any relational data fetcher for mongodb. Compared to GraphQL it can get up to 20x-30x improvements in speed. It’s crazy how efficient the system is in real-life scenarios.

And the fact that both work flawlessly together.

Cheers!

10 Likes

Prepack, Facebook’s new code optimizer! :grimacing:

4 Likes

I would love to hear how Meteor is doing in terms of user adoption. I have an interest in that as a software vendor, but I think it can also help everyone understand where its going and how vested MDG is in it. We certainly don’t want to see what happened to RethinkDB happen here.

My sense is that Meteor and Galaxy might actually be growing, despite everyone shouting that Meteor is dead or that they are switching off of it. It would be nice to hear something real here.

I used to gauge growth through Atmosphere package downloads, but its not working poorly. It would be nice to know if that would be fixed too. Right now, numbers are off, as are top charts and most popular, and that does not look good.

10 Likes

This isn’t any specific forum topic, but I’d like to hear about plans beyond Meteor 1.5.

For the past year @benjamn has been just about the only person working on the Meteor codebase, with @abernix hopping on board in the last month or two. New feature development has been gradually slowing to a crawl, with 1.5 taking about a year after the release of 1.4, which was an uneventful release without any big headline features. It appears that most efforts have moved to Apollo, Optics and Galaxy. So what’s Meteor’s future plan look like? Is it mostly feature complete now that its stable and does what it’s supposed to do, or can we expect more changes in the future? What should we be excited about beyond 1.5?

6 Likes

Echoing the comments above, I’m also interested at looking beyond 1.5 and specifically if there’re any plans to further bring the Apollo ecosystem closer to the Meteor ‘Classic’.

With that said, I personally don’t expect new features every release. Meteor is relatively a mature framework and I think stabilizing what’s already working is as important as coming up with new features for the sake of coming up with features.

1 Like

What @msavin said and the process toward Node.js 6.

3 Likes

Just a quick update on Node 6 - it’s slotted for Meteor 1.6:

Node 6 is far too big a change to include in Meteor 1.5 at this point. Getting Meteor 1.6 stable will be the top priority after Meteor 1.5 is done. There’s a good chance we’ll release 1.6 before 1.5.1, unless the remaining problems turn out to be really hard to solve, but I’m not too worried about that.

Any specific cool new features you can tell us about, that Meteor will use from Node 6? :slight_smile: Performance improvements?