šŸ“” TRANSMISSION #22: Help pick topics

Itā€™s time to plan TRANSMISSION show #22!

I will be talking with MDG team members about whatever the most interesting topics have been for the last month or so, and Iā€™d like to get your help with that.

Reply here and let us know which recent topics are the most important to you!

About TRANSMISSION

TRANSMISSION is a monthly show covering the most important topics to come out of the Meteor Forums. Each month we need your help to pick the most relevant forum posts for us to discuss with MDG.

Podcast Site: https://transmission.simplecast.fm/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTUf4ytkmI8Q7cbf4J6aQEYun5g8fxt9B

1 Like

The most interesting thing for me is the new MongoDB Change Streams because it can solve Meteorā€™s ā€œAchilles heel.ā€

Thereā€™s a discussion about it here:

PS. it would be great to hear what MDG thinks of Meteor Candy :smiley: and I would gladly hook everyone there up with a license so they can try it

14 Likes

I found this discussion interesting: Method much faster than subscribe. It also seems to me that there should be a method on initial subscription to get all the current data as a single message (or a few if size is an issue). For example I have a teacher dashboard that needs access to all the students in a large class - if the teacher connects while the class is running, I see 300 websocket messages to transfer the names and IDs of 300 students - seems very inefficientā€¦

7 Likes

Another thing Iā€™m curious about is Flow - is there any thought about adding Flow type definitions to Meteor code? What Iā€™d really like to be able to do is to add strong types for my collections, and actually statically enforce that if you do

type Images = {_id: string, url: string, options: Object}
// and somehow declare that the collection Images has the Images type
const a = Images.findOne('dadasdasda)
console.log(a.age) // error! Object a does not have the property age

Anyone have any experience or ideas around this?

3 Likes

If it isnā€™t too specific, possibly some thoughts on best practices for integrating perfect code splitting with Flowrouter? Googling ā€œmeteor flowrouter perfect code splittingā€ doesnā€™t seem to bring much up.

1 Like

I would be interested to hear if/how you can do SSR with Blaze.

Flow and static typing for Meteor in general sound like an interesting topic to cover.

Would also like to hear opinions on Meteor Candy as well.

And finally, more on the allow/deny discussion would be nice.

1 Like

Yeah I second the allow/deny discussion. That seems to be one of the more serious topics of interest from the forum

I would also be interested in some insight into the ā€˜Method much faster than subscribeā€™ discussion (linked above) from somebody familiar with Meteorā€™s inner workings. I get the sense that such performance considerations are not very clear to many Meteor developers (myself included) and as such the discussion would benefit many.

2 Likes

If you guys havenā€™t done it yet, I thought this topic could fit neatly with the discussions around MongoDB Change Streams and Methods being faster than pub/sub.

The Whatā€™s next for Meteor topic has gotten quite lively. Should be a treasure trove of debate ideas.

4 Likes