Seeking Recommendation

Now I would like to try build Mobile App to support Meteor Vue Project.
I am checking React Native, Native Script Vue, Fluter and Meteor Mobile.
But not clear, Bc I am a new bit for Mobile App.
Could you advise???

Hi @theara there are several ways to build a mobile app with Meteor, Iā€™ll list them out for clarity & stick to just Vue as a front end:

Web-app:

• PWA (Progressive Web App)
  • Cordova

Native-app:

• Vue Native Script uses React Native under the hood

I would start with the PWA approach because if you designed your app already to work on a mobile phone from a design & responsiveness standpoint, you will have the least amount of work to do.

You can then also use Cordova (aka traditional Meteor Mobile) to get your Vue PWA app into Google & Apple App stores as you can pretty easily add a Cordova version of your existing Web-app too.

You will have to write a 100% new front-end for your app if you go with a route like Vue Native Script and you might only do this because you want to access more of the features that phones support in native apps. In this case Meteor would only be used as your backend and you might want to use a package like Simple DDP. WIth Simple DDP, you can write any type of truly native iOS or Android app, or use Fluter, or React Native directly.

The Meteor docs also do have a section on building a React Native mobile app

I hope this gives you some of what you are looking for. Iā€™m using Vue + Meteor w/ a PWA to get a desktop installable app and mobile installable app. Check out PWAs because they will probably blow your mind. Check out this Vue PWS mobile app to see an example and learn what the install process is like for users vs. the traditional apps stores.

1 Like

@mullojo, thank for your reply :blush:
Excuse me, I donā€™t understand Web-App (PWA, Cordova)?
Or it mean that we could build Mobile App from Meteor App directly (Web Viewer)?

No probā€¦ hope this helpsā€¦

A PWA is a version of a Web-App that meets PWA standards, itā€™s just adding some extra things to your existing app. Weā€™re going to add a PWA section to the Meteor Docs soon.

Cordova is a special build of your Web-App that compiles it to use web viewers from Chrome & Safari to build a ā€œmobile storeā€ app, but itā€™s still just a Web-App with some extras. Check the Meteor Docs for more on that.

2 Likes

Thanks again I will wait to see Weā€™re going to add a PWA section to the Meteor Docs soonā€¦
:rocket:

PWA VS Native Script???

Hi @theara, wait no more :). PWA is not really Meteor related but more a web technology closer to web/browser technology than to the JS ecosystem. While PWA might come in the Meteor documentation, they are in general a developer choice, option, flavor. I think you may start from here: https://github.com/activitree/Meteor-PWA-Explained

1 Like