Seems deploy to appname.meteor.com is down. Is Galaxy taking over?

My app ( mui-starter.meteor.com ) was working fine, but after trying to upload a new version, it also got stuck in an error-loop.

And now, when trying to upload, I get

Error deploying application: Connection error (socket hang up)

Production apps shouldn’t run on the free *.meteor.com, but it is the place to demo apps and solutions for the community. So it is ok to have it run slow, or have the occasional hickup, but 5 days…

Yeah it’s pretty frustrating last couple of days, been trying to use the free version as reference for some of my projects for job interviews, not a good look. Think I’l fork out the $7/month for Heroku… time to upgrade… oh wait, it’s back up again. :confused:

Actually, just looking at galaxy pricing:
Pay only for the amount you use
$0.035/GB/Hour

I’m not sure what GB refers to. Is it data transfer or app storage? if latter does it include db?
Would also appreciate anecdotal monthly cost estimates based on your app hosting experiences.

DB is definitely not included https://www.meteor.com/why-meteor/galaxy-faq#collapse12, you need to get that elsewhere.

1 Like

It should be the amount of memory used by your containers.

If your app uses, for example, 512MB of memory and is up all the time it would cost $12.6/month, that is 720h x 0.035 x (1/2)GB

If your app uses either 1GB or 2 containers of 512MB each it’d cost $25.2/month

That’s how I understood Galaxy’s pricing but take that with a salt of grain as I’m not hosting any app on it.

Someone actually hosting his app on Galaxy should confirm or dismiss my calculations.

2 Likes

That’s exactly how it works. You’ll be billed only for the hours you use. For example, if you have a 1GB container that was running for 100 hours, it will cost 100 * 1 * $0.035 = $3.5

1 Like

So if I use only 10 hours in a month it will only cost $0.35? Is there a minimum monthly charge?

That’s right. There is currently no minimum monthly charge.

It’s the same at Modulus. It’s a fair deal, no usage = (almost) no cost