Should I buy a surface book to develop in meteor?

I run windows 10 for all of my development lately and have zero issues, in fact I find it more pleasant than OSX a large part of the time.

Pick the OS you want to use and go from there. Meteor runs great on Windows if that’s what you want to use. The only thing you need to worry about is what else are you going to use that computer for and will it satisfy the rest of your needs. Plus with Microsoft and Ubuntu working together who knows what kind of possibilities there will be in the near future.

1 Like

I have a surface book and dev meteor on it.

I think what @gothicmage meant by ConEmu was console emulation like Cmder which works dandy.

If you feel like living on the edge you could try bash commands in the powershell as win 10 supports that since March 2016.

I used to use sublime text 2 in windows but have been using visual studio code for the last 6 months. Based on atom IDE but with the intellisense syntax highlighting (think visual studio but with out the bloat). Also runs on BSD and Linux OS’s.

As for the Mac bro’s running on deprecated hardware (the mac’s have only had small incremental spec bumps the last few years) I honestly hope uncle Tim sprinkles some real spec updates and not just faux touch bars because OSx ain’t going to get “touchy” any time soon. Let me know how dev’ing Meteor on an iPad Pro goes …

Cheers.

1 Like

I have a surface book and all is totally smooth, bash is here (but not really functional for Meteor for now), stylus to make draw prototype is great.
Apart that surface book has features as detachable tablet (light battery, not for main usage but very light and great) that I use to watch videos, and for high-end models a dGpu for games. This is not dev related but if you buy such a wonderful PC you will probably use these special features (only windows 10 hybrid with dedicated gpu for instance).
When meteor will make Meteor working on windows subsystem on linux Surface book will be the best way of dev, for now it’s, for me, the best PC of the world for what I want.

Meteor already works fine on the Linux subsystem.

Not for me I tried again today in any way

Weird, I’ve use Meteor in linux environment for more than a year now.

I ended up buying a macbook pro, tried to get used to windows again and it’s just not for me :pensive:

I was looking for that since a lot of time, I’ll take a look later on. I’ve been searching for dozens of hours since even before the release of the anniversary edition. Even recently I’ve been looking to make WSL works with Meteor https://github.com/meteor/meteor/issues/7583

Yes you can, ChromeOS is Linux, and Meteor runs on Linux. :}