Sign in Page for an Android Application

So i was using the accounts-ui package for my web application which works good in a browser. I can position the template on my nav bar and style it to blend in with the rest of my navigation elements, but when i ran my application on an android emulator that was not the case.

So I am wondering if there is a way to build a nice sign in experience using the accounts-ui package for a phone or do i just use the accounts-base package and build my own sign in from scratch kinda. Is this the way most other mobile developers using MeteorJS do it? Or is there a mobile-friendly accounts-ui replacement that looks nice on a phone/emulator that is popular?

I would suggest you to stay away from meteor if you have not invested to much time in your app already. Nowadays you will find a more active community in other frameworks such as React and Ionic, while in meteor many key packages are outdated from 4 years ago. Regarding to your question, in my case I developed my own templates using meteor-accounts-entry package. I downloaded it locally and updated the html and css accordingly.

Strange choice to return to the Meteor forums after 2 years of inactivity, only to recommend OP not use Meteor

3 Likes

I think i am going to try and use materialize and make a login template of my own so I can have greater control over the markup being used, thats my plan for now

I very successfully use Meteor to develop web apps with apps for Android and iOS. Yes, some plugins are outdated but most either still work or there are alternatives or forks. I achieve background geolocation and push messaging relatively easily. Plus all my UI code is based on exactly the same code as the web version, so there’s only one codebase to maintain - that’s the beauty of responsive design and cordova.

@brianmulhall, you’re right though, the accounts-ui package doesn’t look good on mobile. Instead it’s necessary to use accounts-base and build your own UI, but it isn’t that hard, just design the UI and call Meteor.loginWithPassword. Here’s one of my examples: Meteor/Vue.js/Vuetify sign-in route - Pastebin.com

Personally I like Material Design, I think it works well on mobile and also looks good on desktop. In an app which has been running for a few years now I used Material Design Lite thanks to @zodiase’s mdl package. That project is still going well and everything still works and compiles. I’ve had to update a few packages over the years to keep up with current versions.

Here's some screenshots

The sign in route:

The side-bar user drop-down menu:

I’ve even recently started a brand new project, and for that I’ve decided to stick with Meteor, just because it makes everything so easy. For that I’ve started from the ground-up with Vue.js using the Vuetify material design component library. Works very well for me and looks identical to the screenshots above.

1 Like

Thank you for the example of a login built for mobile. Yea, i feel the same way about meteor. It is more than capable of building a cordova application that can then be deployed to an android device and to an ios device. I appreciate the detailed reply

Here’s another tip (sorry if you already know this): while developing a responsive UI it’s quicker and easier to test the responsiveness using Chrome Devtools, rather than waiting till you get to the emulator.

Desktop%20screenshot

Ohh yea, i do like those tools. very handy for testing the nav bar and im sure for when i write my login template too. thanks

Bizarre logic @efrancis. It would be strange if I was active in forums and recommending not to use it. If you don’t agree and think meteor is so alive nowadays as other frameworks, detail why…

Accounts-UI is a ‘demo package’. I started with it for sure.

But, now I do my own login/registration stuff.

Again – Accounts-UI is a 1 click solution to account management. Sure you can tweak it, but at some point you’ll wanna upgrade :wink: